Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this forum isn't about c4s, but I'm not sure I'll get any decent info from that crappy site known as corvette forum, and I also know that many others here also own c4s, and I need a quick answer. Here's the situation:

My father had to have some work done on his '95 automatic coupe, and while the exhaust is off he was considering having the large single muffler between the cats and rear mufflers removed. A muffler shop tech told him he might not want to do this, because it would negatively affect the car's performance because of loss of back pressure, and that it would make the car too loud.

Is this right??? Common sense would tell me that:

1. Since the car will still have OE cats and OE rear mufflers, it will not be that loud.

2. Since the car will still have OE headers, cats, and rear mufflers it will still have plenty of back pressure, in my opinion more than necessary.

Am I right in thinking this exhaust tech doesn't know WTF he's talking about? If it were my c4, not only would I get rid of the center muffler, I'd add long tube headers, high flow cats, and replace the OE rear mufflers with aftermarket mufflers. I would think that with after market mufflers and cats the car would still have enough back pressure for a 350ci engine to perform well.

Should my father have the center muffler removed? Price does not matter, even if it only adds a small amount of power.

THANK YOU for any responses!

:z:

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
It's a sound resonator...right? It will be louder which should be a good thing...not sure about the backpressure thing but I can't see it hurting performance.

·
Registered
54 Posts
It is true that some cars need back pressure, but since you're not changing the over all diameter of the pipe you should have no ill effects. (Putting 4" tubes messes up back pressure on a car that needs 2") I have a 96 with flowmaster cat backs, it's a lot deeper toned, but I wouldn't consider it to be loud at all, (except under WOT) Go for it and enjoy, if your muffler shop won't do it, find one that will. You won't regret your decision.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Some guys run muffler eliminators on C4's and love the sound. As far as back pressure, if you can eliminate them without problem, you should be just fine with a set of performance mufflers. If he doesn't have enough back pressure then, he may have to convince his wife that his air intake system needs to be compressed! I love my Z, but I had a lot of fun in two different C4 cars that I owned. They're a hoot!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts