Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all,
well today after a car show i was just leaving the car show when i notice my car sounded differen and felt different... like i wasn't firing on all cylinders! it struggled to idle and get moving... once i got it up to 70mph and held it there it drove like normal but under excleration it felt like 1/2 the car. sounded and felt like a bad coil pack or fouled spark plug or bad igition wire...the only thing i did was rev it up good at the car show... it wasn't cold but i did rev it good and then turned it off... the only codes im getting are the maf p0101H and the O2 p0140c....i didn't get to pull the plugs, but if its a coil pack or something how do i tell!!!

mods are headers, cam, x pipe, exhaust , msd plug wires,

·
Registered
133 Posts
How's the idle? You might try pulling one plug wire at a time to see how it effects the idle. Maybe you broke a valve spring when you reved?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
idles ok.... sometimes after coming down its would dip really low and want to stall but never did.... i didn't even rev to the limiter though. and i did it 3 times the whole day.....im throwing the MAF code so maybe that is bad and needs replacing...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am having the same problem. My mods are very similar to yours I am taking the car to get tuned in the next couple of weeks if you haven't found anything out by then I will let you know what I discover on mine.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
My car is doing the same thing, except without any codes. Try driving at 60mph in 6th and flooring it. I get BAD surging/bogging/backfiring.

My check engine light came on a few months ago at the same time it started running poorly. That ended up being a bad O2 sensor. Replacing it got rid of the codes, but it still isn't running right. I'm guessing it's a fouled plug since I replaced the wires about a year ago.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Definitely sounds like a broken valve spring. What cam/springs are you running?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Could be a plug wire, if you have headers.. If so do you have the socks on them?? check it at night.. pull the covers off the engine, and park where it's dark,, if its plug wires or coils you should see them arch.

Also like Billy said a valve spring. since you did rev it up a few times..

Ernie

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
when i picked up my z last year, something similar was happening, it turned out to be a hose had popped off the block and the engine wasn't getting enough air (sorry for the non-technical answer here)... it might something simple as that.... ?

·
Registered
437 Posts
I'm just wondering if someone at the car show screwed with your car. Was the hood open during the show? Just a thought.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i'd agree w/ someone who posted earlier.

I'd check all the air hoses first. I personally haven't worked on my Z much, other than some maintenance so i'm not familiar w/ the vacuum hoses and how they are routed. But at my work, i've seen quite a few cars (not chevy's) that had the air boot loose or vacuum hoses broken that set MIL's for the MAF. Basically the amount of air being measured doesn't match what's going in and the mixtures are off. The symptoms seem to go away at higher RPM/load like you described.

good luck!,

Mark

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I'm just wondering if someone at the car show screwed with your car. Was the hood open during the show? Just a thought
I would have to agree, I dont think revving it while stopped would cause much damage unless done without any regards to damaging the engine. Sounds like someone might have walked past and pulled a plug wire off the plug or coil. I would check to make sure everything is on right and check the MAF to make sure the elec. connection is plugged into it and the filter is on tight and there are no leaks. Many times people reach down to touch the filter and other things and end up messing stuff up.

I installed headers about a year ago and as it turned out, the 4th plug wire back on the driver side(closest to the firewall and hard as hell to get to) was loose and eventually worked its way off. I was on the road one day coming home and noticed that the car back fired a few times. I put the car in 4th @ 25mph and the car started bucking and making all kinds of noises. I went through all the plugs and notice that the wire on this particular plug was not snapped into place correctly and was loose.

Plugged it back in and all was good. :guiness:

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
BillY2KFRC said:
Definitely sounds like a broken valve spring. What cam/springs are you running?

My car was doing the same thing and I had a broken spring. :yeadog:

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Plug a Tech II into her and see what's up if you know someone that has one. It could be a lot of things. O2's, air leak around the MAF/intake tract, plug wire shorting against the header a fouled plug broken spring. Knock out the easy stuff first and work on the internals. Free revs are never free. See if you have 941 springs installed.

D.J.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts