Votes: 8 13.8%
  • other

Votes: 29 50.0%
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need some advice on tires. right now it seems like a lot of ppl like nitto 555s and toyo proxes for street duty.

i'm getting 18" CCW classics all around and need advice on which tire to choose.

thanks

·
Registered
596 Posts
Let us know what type of driving you'll be doing and that will help make a tire choice easier. :cheers:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just raisin' hell on the interstates and back roads! :D

·
Registered
119 Posts
i am getting new tires as well. any input would be appreciated, and money is an issue. i am an 04 stock z. all driving will be on the street.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
ppk1911 said:
need some advice on tires. right now it seems like a lot of ppl like nitto 555s and toyo proxes for street duty.

thanks
Either tire is a good choice. I favor the Nitto's 555 R2's :z:

·
Registered
346 Posts
You will not be disappointed if you go with Nitto's.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Why not get some Michellin PS2s?

The nittos are probably stickier, but arent they essentially drag radials?
From what I understand, drag radials (or any race tire for that matter) do not last as long as street tires, nor do they ride as well.
But if tire tread life and ride comfort are not issues, than get the nittos, Im sure they are great.
FWIW If I were going to buy a Race tire, it would be from Hoosier not Nitto.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Z06KahunaCanuck said:
I've got the PS2s on for about a month now and love em!

I agree. I've had my PS2's for about 2 weeks and I love them. A better tire than the F1 SC's.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hey ppk1911,

My thoughts on the CCW classics, they were my choice.

Get race machining to drop about 1lb and the stainless street hardware.

Also consider the steel inserts for the lug seats, these were not standard on street wheels.

I the only thing I didn't like was the center cap, and did not have the wheel machined for them (race center) and made my own. :coo:

I'd recommend that you ask John if they can make a 505 style center cap for the classic wheel. That's what mine look like, but they are black plastic.

The rears screw down on the axle threads, and the fronts are 0.001" undersize in the hub bore but have 2 O-rings with about 0.010" interferance to hold them snug.

I have already hit a pot hole hard enough to bend the rim lip up 1/4" and been over 120 several times and the front caps have yet to loosen.

I also run the 555R2 which is a very sticky road course capable DOT tire.

I believe it has been chosen as the Spec tire for an American V-8 class of amature racing that I've read about in Grassroots Motorsports Mag.

My only complaint is that they are so soft they throw debris at the car much more than stock.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Nitto's for sure

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Nitto R2s on CCW's is a nice setup ! R2s are very streetable but perform like a race tire. Arnold is right about the softness, they do pick up sand and even small pebbles, just like a race tire.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks guys for all the help!

Arnoldir, your setup looks great! i'm not a fan of the chrome center caps myself. was going to ask them if i could get black caps, but i'll ask about 505 style caps when i call them.

i think i'm going to get the nitto's, but i might just get the regular 555 instead of the RII. our roads are so dirty around here that it was almost a constant sound of crap pinging off the car when i was driving around on supercars. tires any stickier and i won't have any paint left....

thanks again for all the input. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I have been very happy with my Kumo MXs. The price is nice, and they have handled great in the mountains and at the autocross.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I just checked Discount tire descr of the RII and it is the competition tire. That is why it sticks and throws crap upon the cra an dchews up the rocker panels. It is a race tire, as in, go to SCCA or your local roadrace venue, and see what they run. All will be comparable to the RII. eg Kuhmo Victoracers, Yokohama Advans, Hoosier AS03, etc, etc. By all this, I mean, Definitley NOT for street unless you are a wildman unable to subdue your impulses to late apex every corner ont he way to work! I would get something with a treadwear of 220 at the least, if all you are going to do is street as you said. PLUS, the 220 treadwear will warn you before letting go. the DOTs used in roadracing give very little warning on interstates and tree lined back roads. Be SAFE!!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yea, that's why i said i think i'm gonna get the regular 555s. 300 treadwear rating and prolly a lot less sticky.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Just ordered a set of Nitto 555R2's (17/18) for the Fest.

Between the trip down and back, drags, autox, and the Nashville HDPE event, it should be a good test of the tires.

Steve

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just bought my car, and it had Nitto 555's on it already. they look nice but not a lot of traction. Driving normal is allright, but if you get on it, they break loose. I am either going to try the F1 SC or the 555r2's. just my experience. good luck bryan

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
sshaddowz said:
I just bought my car, and it had Nitto 555's on it already. they look nice but not a lot of traction. Driving normal is allright, but if you get on it, they break loose. I am either going to try the F1 SC or the 555r2's. just my experience. good luck bryan
bryan,

thanks for the timely advice! i'll have to rethink my prior statement about getting plain old 555s now. so i guess it's down to the R2s or the pilot sport PS2s, which seem to be very popular judging the response ppl have shown!

btw, since you mentioned F1 SCs, i was told by a reputable tuner that the supercars that come on the Zs from the factory are better than the ones you can buy! said his cars turned consistantly slower lap times with the bought tires than the originals in back to back tests! i found it hard to believe, but he swore that was the observed behavior....FWIW.

best
pat

1 - 20 of 56 Posts