Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 01' z06 my passenger side DRL kept blowing out, with the signal indicator going off intermitently, even after I replaced the bulb, prior to its blowing out again. Had a local shop in Deland FL check it out and found a)both housings were cracked on top allowing H20 in and blowing bulbs, as well as ruining both seats. b) after changing all the above- signal still flashing out of sequence, which ended up being a bad turn signal lever. Total repair bill 830.00- which stings a bit but if its fair then ok. I have 10 thumbs and fat hands so me doing this is not a choice. Were they fair? Oh yeah- this forum has helped me ALOT as a lurker, thanks

·
Registered
830 Posts
ouch!!!!!

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Welcome Aboard the Good Ship Z06 :z: :z:

I woudn't go back

Screw me once shame on you, screw me twice shame on me. :NoNo:

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
$830 bucks for that??? :-? They didn't even give you any KY, did they? :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nah, it was a small but pretty reputable outfit, after looking for a few weeks his name kept floating to the top. Just moved from Valdosta GA and have now suffered two crummy haircuts and one raping in Florida- any good shops in the Daytona Beach area? Ill figure the haircut out myself, the z helps divert attention from my unwanted mullet.. :cry:

·
21,378 Posts
fastashe** said:
nah, it was a small but pretty reputable outfit, after looking for a few weeks his name kept floating to the top. Just moved from Valdosta GA and have now suffered two crummy haircuts and one raping in Florida- any good shops in the Daytona Beach area? Ill figure the haircut out myself, the z helps divert attention from my unwanted mullet.. :cry:
It's good you're maintaining a sense of humor about it!

I would say depending on the cost of the replacement parts would dictate whether or not you got ripped. Find out how much the lever and sockets are and go from there.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Norris Motorsports is one the best shops in Florida :z:
1010 Bunnell Rd.
Suite 1100
Altamonte Springs, FL 32714
407-869-RACE (7223)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like he charged 65.00 per housing, 40.00 per seat, 12.00 per bulb and 230.00 for the signal switch. I knew there would be some time added because I knew the intermittent signal was unrelated to the blowing bulbs- but Ive never met a mech who would work two paths at the same time.Im sure he had more then 4 hrs in it, could have been up to 6-7.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
fastashe** said:
Looks like he charged 65.00 per housing, 40.00 per seat, 12.00 per bulb and 230.00 for the signal switch. I knew there would be some time added because I knew the intermittent signal was unrelated to the blowing bulbs- but Ive never met a mech who would work two paths at the same time.Im sure he had more then 4 hrs in it, could have been up to 6-7.
$65 per housing is about right, I got one from ebay for $35 from an 01 and it looks brand new!my left cracked on its own, I am still warrantied but I dont want the dealer touching it because I have strobes, and the only light bulb that blew out was my Strobe which cost $20 per bulb, it has been cracked for years now and still no stock bulb odd, yours must of been pretty bad then to make that much damage :jawdrop: , I guess I better hurry up and swap out lenses :bang:

·
Registered
882 Posts
Parts sounds about right. Labor is probably about 2 hours over. A lot depends on the diagnosis process. Guess he is just making a little profit? :eek::

Were you happy with the quality of the work? One thing to remember. He did fix it. :eek::

Businesses have expenses. Rent, taxes, taxes, utilities, salary, outsourcing costs (bookkeeping, lawyers, etc.) and did I mention taxes? You would not believe how many people have their hands out all wanting a cut of your revenue (Feds, state, local). It would be nice if a dealer or shop could charge you $10 for analysis and replacing a housing. But to be fair, the owner has an overhead that must be met if he wants to be around tomorrow. :(

I have many corporate customers who would rather pick my brain for hours instead of having the problem solved immediately. They try with their own limited experience and then complain when things go from bad to worse. Then they change their project and question why they are being charged for the work done on the "old" design. :flaming:

Best course of action is to define what you want and state what you want to pay. AND GET IT IN WRITING so that there are no misunderstandings. :yeadog:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Im not too bent about a couple hours extra and would like to cultivate someone local to deal with the z s' quirks, Im considering extended warrantee coverage- the car has 58k, I drive it daily and really plan on keeping this ride. Its way too tight and its at the point that doing some cosmetic mods to keep it fresh are easy to do and not insane expensive.

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
Wow! :eek: Don't forget, there are electric specialty businesses that can trouble shoot these problems much quicker and thus charge less.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
fastashe** said:
Im not too bent about a couple hours extra and would like to cultivate someone local to deal with the z s' quirks, Im considering extended warrantee coverage- the car has 58k, I drive it daily and really plan on keeping this ride. Its way too tight and its at the point that doing some cosmetic mods to keep it fresh are easy to do and not insane expensive.
Well the price charged is not the problem, If that damage was that bad I guess that how much it would cost somewhere else, pretty screwed up though, an initial part of $35-65 ended up being almost a grand :puke:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts