Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

Yes I am an idiot. During the Hurst install I dropped a small wrench into the tunnel. I have been trying to get it for hours. I can't even see where it has gone to. Any ideas ?

Thanks,

George

·
Premium Member
7,247 Posts
I assume you have tried a magnet tool??? It should be lying in the tunnel right there.
Not too much there.

Joe

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Joe,

I think it bounced to the right. I can see it at all.

·
Premium Member
7,247 Posts
Z06GCT said:
Joe,

I think it bounced to the right. I can see it at all.
I'm not sure if the tunnel is contained or leads to another accessible compartment underneath. Stand-by, someone will be along shortly who knows, I'm sure. :)

Joe:)

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I have the answer!!!! Go out on the street (empty one) and romp on your car! I mean floor it, give her all she's got! The wrench will fly out the back of the car... then just stop and pick it up. I dropped one of the shift stops down there and couldn't fish it out. Finally, I gave up and put it al lback together and went for a drive. I was pissed (and happy about the Hurst) so I floored it, and on the first try it came right out.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
holedgr said:
Cobra.....I apreciate your enthusiasm......but you gotta take it easy!:lol:
:lol: Yeah, "Go out in the street and floor it " is his solution for almost everything.:D

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
From what I can see in the service manual...The shifter linkage is EXTERNAL to the tunnel shaft. (the pictures show nothing actually penetrating the outer shaft housing...such as a shifter) It appears that the tunnel shaft resides inside of a box and this box should be accessible from the underside of the car by removing the metal heat-shield-looking panels enclosing the tunnel.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
For those about to install a shifter...it helps greatly to pack rags around any opening capable of eating a tool or peice of hardware. In fact that goes for any opening where a foriegn object would be bad news.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
I am not too smart when it comes to some of these mods. Can you use the stock shifter knob on the Hurst Shifter?

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
lasmith2112 said:
I am not too smart when it comes to some of these mods. Can you use the stock shifter knob on the Hurst Shifter?
Yes, but the stock knob is extremely light. Light knobs on solid shaft shifters (the stocker is a 2 peice shaft) have a tendency to rattle. I've tried various knobs and at least my testing reveals that the heavier....the better. My Momo, for example, is solid brass. There are however, some fixes for rattles if you do a search. I prefer to get a knob "rattle free" without those fixes though.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK. Large magnet taped to a steel measuring cord did it. Thanks for the help.

I will search for posts, but I have 2 questions:

1. Should I leave the normal stronger spring in place or go to the lighter one ? ( maybe the stronger springs will loosen up a bit ).

2. Should I set the stop screw on the front and rear of the shifter ?

George

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Z06GCT said:
OK. Large magnet taped to a steel measuring cord did it. Thanks for the help.

I will search for posts, but I have 2 questions:

1. Should I leave the normal stronger spring in place or go to the lighter one ? ( maybe the stronger springs will loosen up a bit ).

2. Should I set the stop screw on the front and rear of the shifter ?

George

Take the stop screws out...don't need them. I just swapped to the medium springs. They make it easier to get into reverse and sixth. Glad you got your tool out of the tunnel. ;) :lol: :cheers:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks to everyone. Hurst is in. Lighter springs seemed the best. The stop screws were not used. Just need to put my interior back together.

George

·
Registered
649 Posts
How hard was the mod, and how much better is the Hurst?

·
Registered
487 Posts
LoneRegister said:
How hard was the mod, and how much better is the Hurst?
on a scale of 1-10

How hard was the mod - 2
How hard was the mod w/dropping the wrech - 6 :lol: sorry had to :D
How much better is the Hurst - 10 you will never want to go back

1 - 20 of 23 Posts