Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, here's the problem. I go to start the car and it will keep turning over and over and over without starting. Sometimes it will fire right up, but mostly I have to stop cranking and try again and it will usually start on the 2nd or 3rd attempt. The funny thing is I tried to get it on my camcorder last week and every time I would bring the camera down and record my starts, it would fire right up. I left the house to run some errands and when I attempted to start up again, it starting acting up again. I'm afraid it will do the same thing when I bring it in. Any ideas? THANKS!

Ted

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Ted, first off I'm not a mechanic.

Did this just start happening, or has it been going on for a long time - meaning did you get some bad gas which has messed up the system? If you think that's the case, the next time it starts up, burn off the tank of gas, put new gas from another station. You might want to put in a bottle of Techron or equivalent to clean the fuel system.

When it does run, does it run right? If so, I guess it's in the ignition system somewhere. In the old days I would have checked the wire off the coil to the distributor. What is the equivalent of that wire issue with the new cars?

Is the battery strong?

I'm still thinking...

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Frank. I'll check for codes and post what I find tomorrow. I'm at work right now and I'll be getting off soon. Right around 9am. :( I really don;t want to go into the delership because I've had bad things happen to my cars at just about all of the big Chevy dealers here in Nashville. I'm still waiting to find a good service department.
That's how I feel whenever I take my car in.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Vince: It seems to be running just fine. I think I now have an excuse to let her rip tomorrow just to be sure there isn't any problems going WOT. :D As far as I know, the battery is strong, but I haven't checked yet............

·
Registered
511 Posts
I had this problem with my '98 and it turned out the one way valve in the fuel pump was bleeding off.
I found that if I would turn the key on to the run position three or four times prior to cranking it would start every time.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SoonerZ06 said:
I had this problem with my '98 and it turned out the one way valve in the fuel pump was bleeding off.
I found that if I would turn the key on to the run position three or four times prior to cranking it would start every time.
Thanks! I love your username!! I tell ya, my wife about left me after the OU/OS game. My voice was gone after the game. The only game I was worried about after their loss to Nebraska was the TX Tech game. I should've known better after last years game. It's gonna take me a while to get over that last loss. :(

BTW, I'll definitely try that when I get home. Was it an easy fix for the service dept, or did you just live with it? Thanks again!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think the above post is on the right track. Check the fuel pressure after the car sits for a while. No/low fuel pressure =
no start. Cycle the key a few times without cranking next time
this happens. If the car fires right up afterwards this is the problem. Good luck!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, just got home and checked for codes. None whatsoever. Befor I checked for codes, I turned the key to the on position 3 times and then went to start. Held the key there for about 5 seconds, stopped, and then tried again. On the second attempt, it fired right up. I don't have the tools to check the fuel pressure, so it looks like I'm off to my local friendly GM service Dept.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Ted: Been there done that. The post on the check vale is pretty much the problem. I say that with some reservation. I had the same thing and on ocassion still happens. My Z is 01 7777 miles now semi stored. Have been to 2 dealers have been in contact with Tech center and BG Engineers. PCM was changed codes came up to indicate such. Probably by chance car ran fine the whole time. Had been given tip from C%R member Lynn Kennedy about this. He had it but his 98 ran out of fuel when it developed. Anyway my Tech finally had it happen when I took it in then he says ahh its a fuel problem. DUH, should listen to customer. So this happen to me still once in awhile. Turning key on to let fuel pump charge system didn't help either as I was trying to locate problem for Tech to fix. It does seem if check valve is open nothing to start with and I think its suppose to hold 47#?? My experience anyway. How about this one C5member found he was releasing key to snap back to fast and ignition switch would go open. Happened only when he started car. That didn't work for me either.
Wayne
C5R#Z5133 TR 01 Z
Vortex Rammer CAGS Ripper
Decales Tail light Bezels

·
Registered
511 Posts
cyaford said:

Thanks! I love your username!! I tell ya, my wife about left me after the OU/OS game. My voice was gone after the game. The only game I was worried about after their loss to Nebraska was the TX Tech game. I should've known better after last years game. It's gonna take me a while to get over that last loss. :(

BTW, I'll definitely try that when I get home. Was it an easy fix for the service dept, or did you just live with it? Thanks again!
Sorry for the delay on answering you bro.
First, lets not even talk about the OU OSU game, I'm still trying to convince myself it was just a bad dream. :cry:

Now on to the problem at hand.
I changed the fuel pump myself in the '98 and the problem was gone for good and it only took me around an hour total time.
You can buy a fuel pressure gauge at Autozone for around twenty bucks and check it out.
Just hook it up to the test port on the engine and turn on the key to make sure it doesn't leak, then start it up for thirty seconds and turn it off and watch the gauge to see if the pressure bleeds off real fast, a little pressure loss is normal, but total loss over a five minute period or less would be a high negitive.
If I can help you further just let me know.
:)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks again guys! This problem would only affect startup, right? I haven't noticed any performance issues, but I haven't been going WOT too often. I'll see if I can't check the fuel pressure later on this week. Once I find out what the problem is, I'll report back.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alright, just got back from the dealer. I told them what you guys told me here, and that's exactly what it turned out to be. They will replace the fuel pump later on this week and I'll report back when everything is back to normal. Thanks Again!!!

Ted

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me. Turned over three or four times before it would start. Turned out to be the gas cap. It was not letting the tank breathe. Take the cap off and shake it to see if there is any spilt gas of water in it. Then replace and I'll bet your trouble goes away cause mine did...Hope this helps.. Good Luck:cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jayzvette: I haven't tried that one. Are you saying you had to get a new gas cap? I've gone through several tanks of gas and the problem still persists. If it still acts up after the fuel pump is replaced, I'll look into it. I'm pretty sure the problem is the fuel pump, because the tech told me the fuel pressure dropped way off after shutting the car down. But you never know.....
Thanks!

Ted

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
No, I did not have to replace the cap. Mine also did it after a few tanks of gas. I guess there is some type of purge valve in the cap and if it screws up will cause a vacume in the tank cause the pump is sucking all the gas out while the vaccume in the tank is trying to suck the gas back in the tank. The purge in the cap allows the tank to breathe not lettng this happen. I know this sounds strange, but give it a shot before pump replacement. This could be the reason for the drop in fuel pressure after you turn off the car because the vaccume in the tank is trying to suck the gas back creating a loss of fuel pessure.. Best of luck:cheers: :cheers: -Jason

·
Registered
87 Posts
Jay&Ted:
Refer back to my post 12/19 check valve at fuel tanks is whats causing pressure drop.It's at the rear of car and is a check valve that goes between the tanks and recirc line. It might be the pump but it would seem to me I would change the relay before the whole pump. It has to tell the pump to start or stop. Again if you turn the engine off and the gauge pressure drops what is suppose to hold that presssure? Check valve. I'm not a Tech but what happened to me and a few other C5R members is worth a consideration for problem solving.
Just tryin to help.
Wayne

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wayne: I thought the check valve would be part of the fuel pump. I guess I'll be calling my service advisor here soon. Thanks!

Ted

1 - 20 of 20 Posts