Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am removing the bolt and bushing in the front to lower the car all the way down. I have the drivers side done. On the pass side I have removed the lower shock mounting bolts, removed the sway bar bolt from the lower control arm. The big bolt at the front of the control arm, I stripped the Torx socket in the top of the bold, and can not remove the nut. Please offer any suggestions.
C4C5, can you help me please? I have tried to get vise-grips around the bottom of the bolt, where all the rubber is, with no luck. I have used some lube oil on the threads with no luck. Should I jam something bigger than the Torx socket down in there in hopes of it holding enough to loosen the nut? Have I runied that bolt? Hope you guys can help again! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Ouch. Hopefully C4C5 can help.

When I was a mechanic years ago, we used to file the edges flat on broken bolts so that an open end wrench would fit....Don't know if that helps, I have never monkey'd with my C5...

JC

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This bolt has an external thread with a nut on it. Inside the bolt itself is a Torx socket. In order to remove the nut, the Torx socket must be held while the nut is turned with a wrench. I stripped the internal Torx socket in the end of the bolt. This is the big bolt at the end of the lower control arm, where it bolts to the 'thing' the brake caliper is bolted to. I don't know what it is called. Anyway, I have to remove this bolt to push the lower control arm down out of the way to remove the bolt and bushing from the spring. Any help would be really cool.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got it, thanks. I removed the upper control arm from the framerail, then the whole unit pivots down, allowing the 'pogo stick' to be removed from the spring. The car is now as low as it will go. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

1 - 4 of 4 Posts