Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 ZO6 LS7 motor, in my 1932 ford truck. I went to get it tuned, after a cam install. The tuner said. I needed a crank relearn. But he was unable to do that. It is because. I do not have the brake switch, I think that is what he said. The street rod has, had the harness made for it. And a lot of the features, used on the vettes, are not in my harness any more. The relearn was turned off. I am sure that was done, on the original tune, several years ago. I have talked, to different tuners. Some say the relearn, is not a big deal. And that it was just disabled, so it would not throw misfire codes. Do I really need this function. I have a friend that is a GM tech. Can he use his scanner to force a relearn? It think the tuner said it was a tech 2 scanner. And with that tool a forced relearn could be done.

Thanks in advance, any help would greatly appreciated.

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,820 Posts
Your getting a lot of BS info

PCM needs to see a valid signal from the crank sensor to know relation to crank and CAM position sensor to know exactly when a cylinder is top dead center to command spark

If the crank position sensor was either wacked out of position or a different PCM is used then it would not be in sync to the sensor and relearn is a must

If using a good OBD-II scanner that can send a CPS relearn command that can be done as long as engine can get to over 4,000 RPMs

Yes a Tech-II can send the same command but you have to first undo all the crap that was done in the tune and turning off CPS also means they turned off all misfire functions and their error codes making engine a timebomb

Brake switch has zero to do with that sensor and if I recall in past I mentioned how to get good tuning and you passed it up

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your getting a lot of BS info

PCM needs to see a valid signal from the crank sensor to know relation to crank and CAM position sensor to know exactly when a cylinder is top dead center to command spark

If the crank position sensor was either wacked out of position or a different PCM is used then it would not be in sync to the sensor and relearn is a must

If using a good OBD-II scanner that can send a CPS relearn command that can be done as long as engine can get to over 4,000 RPMs

Yes a Tech-II can send the same command but you have to first undo all the crap that was done in the tune and turning off CPS also means they turned off all misfire functions and their error codes making engine a timebomb

Brake switch has zero to do with that sensor and if I recall in past I mentioned how to get good tuning and you passed it up

Now sure what. I did not do, that you suggested, to get a good tune. But I replaced the cam, and used a different tuner altogether.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts