Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't take the wait anymore!!! I think I am going to take a car with Body Side Moldings (8/6 TPW) and try to remove them.

I need to know what is the best technique for safely removing them. Exactly how do you do it?

Do they come off cleanly without leaving a sticky residue?

Is there a release agent that can be used on the adhesive without messing up the paint finish?

Looks like my other option is a trip to Dearborn, MI for a car without BSMs (8/20 TPW).

Any help on the BSM removal would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

1985 Coupe/Red
2002 Z06/Millennium Yellow/Black/All but BSM
Order #DMCG8S - Stuck at Event Status 1101 /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

·
Registered
576 Posts
I have BSMs on my car which I really did not want but was the only way to get a car quickly. Within a short period of time I have grown very accustom to them and I really don't object at all 10 months later. It does give you additional peace of mind in parking lots.

Give it some time. If you still want to remove, I understand that other Forum members have successfully used monofilament fishing line to separate the strip from the body. A sticky residue should be easy to remove. Forum members have used WD40 to get stuff off their paint.

GOLD72

·
Premium Member
5,101 Posts
A LARGE HAMMER AND PRYBAR are best...LMAO

I understand that using fishing line or dental floss (strong) and slowly "SAWING" on the adhesive under the BSM after heating with hair dryer is one method. Then cleaning with a good adhesive remover.

·
Registered
906 Posts
...they can take my BSMs...out of my cold, dead hands!!!!

High explosives should work. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif

...no but seriously, get 'em (only $75) ...wait for a few weeks ...then decide! I originally ordered the Shark WITHOUT... they said it would be 2-3 months, a week later... the exact car WITH BSMs was aavilable... IHAD TO HAVE THE VETTE NOW!!
...7 months later, I love the little bastards. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

HarleyB(SM)

·
Registered
906 Posts
...you could ALSO get MORE BSMs... for the VetteRossa look! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif

·
Registered
35 Posts
I felt the opposite. I had a slvr '97 and ylw '00 with them and had to settle for a red '01 Z without them. Now I don't care either way. I can tell you it costs $300 plus to put them on if you get it without them so your in a good position. Leave them on for a while and then have your dealer take them off if its that important to you.

·
Registered
105 Posts
WD40 and dental floss or fishing line and gently spray and work the fishing line on the inside of the BSMs and they will come off. Go slow!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the comments, nice to have an idea on how it's done. I'm gonna go with the (8/6 TPW) and take a wait and see attitude with the BSM removal.

At first I didn't like the looks of the hardtop much either, but now I'm totally hooked. Maybe the BSMs will grow on me after a while...(hopefully not literally like Harley's 3 BSMer /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif )

Someone also pointed out that you can't see the BSMs from the driver's seat anyway!

At least I have little more faith that I should be able to get them off without messing up the paint.

I'm guessing that leaving the car out in the sun on a hot day, then moving to the shade before using the WD-40 with dental floss might be the way to go. The WD-40 website says their stuff disolves adhesives, just hope its safe with the waterborne paints Chevy uses.

Holy sheep shit, I've got my TPW!!! My dealer says I should have my car by the end of this month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
Big shit eatin' grin

1985 Coupe/Red
2002 Z06/Millennium Yellow/Black/All including BSMs, TPW 8/6!!!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Jus remember that the paint will change color slightly over time so don't wait too long and then decide to do the deed. I have found that I don't mind mine but a lot of car doors will never touch it so I park accordingly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts