Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope some of you are lawyers. I bought a low mileage 01 Z 17 days ago in Illinois. The used car dealership told me it was in pristine condition and had never been in a wreck or had previous problems. I dropped it off at the Chevy Service dept. to get the rear end checked. Some of you may remember my previous post about the pass. side rear wheel being pushed forward and rubbing. (didn't see this before the buy)

The dealership tried to do an alignment but cannot get the wheel centered in the wheel well. They say it's up to a good body shop with laser alignment equipment to find whether the frame is tweaked or the suspension pieces are bent. Either case I paid top dollar for this car and was told it was clean. The used car dealership said they have already sold my trade in car but they haven't even tried to get the title for my trade in yet. I just went to the bank and paid off my trade in so I own the title now. I hope this gives me leverage.

Can a dealership even sell a car without the title or is this guy blowing smoke up my [email protected]#? I don't know what my rights are and will try to contact a lawyer tomorrow morning. Time is of the essence here. I want my old car back and I'll look for another Z, or if they really can sell my trade in legally without the title I want my trade in value in cash. I would buy a new 02 sight unseen tomorrow and have it shipped if I could.

I apologize for being so long but these car are not cheap and the dealership is alreading giving me the "it's been hit and we can't warranty that" speech. The used place I bought it from is giving me the run-around too. I cannot afford this car and repair bills. Any help is GREATLY APPRECIATED here. I want to autocross and bent frames = bad... :cry: Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Here in FL the dealer by law has to disclose any serious accidents and or repairs if asked.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Bummer

I'm not a lawyer but think you need one. You indicate that you were "told" it had never been in an accident and that may be your biggest problem. If such a statement had been reduced to writing, I think you would have a slam dunk case. All this verbal stuff can easily be denied.
I suspect that the dealer you bought from got this car from an auction and you can bet your sweet ass they knew of the problem, proving it is another question. Do you have any witness's that heard the conversation between you and the salesman indicating the car had never been hit? That would be a big plus.
It's not that these cars cannot be repaired adequately...someone did a horseshit job. I find it surprising that the doors, 1/4's etc. fit well...or don't they?
Have you had anybody follow you? If the car "dog tracks", it's a frame problem...i.e. does the car track straight or is the rear off to one side.
You might want to run a car fax on this unit. Illinois requires that any car totaled by an ins. co. MUST be sold as salvage to a licensed salvage dealer. Once this is done, the title is required to carry a "S" symbol before the title number indicating that the car had been totaled. If it contains this symbol, the dealer is going to have one helluva time trying to explain same.
I feel for you and hope things work out...please keep the board advised of your progress.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
When I read your first post, my first thought was it was hit. That is why I wanted you to get it checked ASP. In MA, we can call the Better Business bureau. I don't know if you have anything like that in IL. Maybe the Attourney Gen? I hope you are taken care of.Good luck.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The car actually drives straight. I don't know how but the track, braking, and even movement under heavy tire spin is all normal. The dealership thought that maybe the "cradle" was out of spec but they tried to set the toe right. this would get it close to normal track but greatly alter exit speeds out of corners due to the different wheelbase on each side.

So far it is my word against theirs regarding whether the car was "clean" when I asked before buying. No witnesses unfortunately. I've been working this issue for the past few days and the hammer was dropped at 5 PM when the dealer said a normal alignment was not enough. I then called the place I purchased it from and told him I wanted my old car back. He promised me that he would me back within 2 hours. He never called as expected. So far I have called them at least 10 times and have not had a call returned ONCE! I don't give my name anymore when the receptionist asks to try and get them on the phone now.

I will try to run a car fax tonight if I can do it online. There's a shop somewhere that touched it and if they are reputable they should have recorded it and the car fax will tell me.... I hope. You better believe the Better Business Buereau is getting a call :mad:

·
Premium Member
4,231 Posts
Re: Bummer

Not totally true.. A car can be totaled out by an insurance company then bought back by the original owner, then resold, all with a clean title.

Joe

gbjerke said:
. Illinois requires that any car totaled by an ins. co. MUST be sold as salvage to a licensed salvage dealer. Once this is done, the title is required to carry a "S" symbol before the title number indicating that the car had been totaled. [/B]

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Intrcul:

Sorry to hear about your car!!:mad: My advice, get a lawyer ASAP!

Good luck!

Zippy :( :(

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the car fax came back clean. The car originally was registered as a private vehicle around X-Mas last year in North Carolina. Registration was issued 2 weeks later. The car then went to Kansas where it was titled on July 19 this year with 2379 miles. August 7th another title and first lien was reported in Kansas again. I purchased the car Oct. 29th with 3720 miles.

The used car dealership I bought it from is small and only has 2 local businesses that I know of so how did it go from Kansas to Illinois?

Also... the car fax came back with the description of 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Sport Coupe. A coupe? Does this sound right?

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
This car has been around, check with some of the other dealers that serviced the car.

Claim History

VIN:

CLAIM HISTORY

Repair Order Date: 09/11/2001 Repair Order Number: 078670 Odometer Reading: 2889 miles

Serviced By: GEORGE WEBER CHEVROLET COMPANY
PO BOX 110
COLUMBIA, IL 62236-0110
(618) 281-5111 Selling Source: 13 - CHEVROLET
Site Code: 03447
Business Associate Code: 111327

Cycle Date Cycle Nbr Case Type Labor Operation Part Comments
09/14/2001 204 01 F Z7200 - CORPORATE PARTS RETURN REIMBURSEMENT N/A N

Repair Order Date: 08/17/2001 Repair Order Number: 077547 Odometer Reading: 2889 miles

Serviced By: GEORGE WEBER CHEVROLET COMPANY
PO BOX 110
COLUMBIA, IL 62236-0110
(618) 281-5111 Selling Source: 13 - CHEVROLET
Site Code: 03447
Business Associate Code: 111327

09/07/2001 202 01 # J6380 - OXYGEN SENSOR (EXHAUST PIPE UNIT) RPL 25317697 - SENSOR N

Repair Order Date: 07/20/2001 Repair Order Number: 593232 Odometer Reading: 2486 miles

Serviced By: SUPERIOR CHEVROLET
PO BOX 410
SHAWNEE MISSION, KS 66201-0410
(913) 384-1550 Selling Source: 13 - CHEVROLET
Site Code: 05886
Business Associate Code: 111852

07/27/2001 190 01 # J6355 - POWERTRAIN CONTROLLER - REPROGRAM N/A Y

Repair Order Date: 12/18/2000 Repair Order Number: A16602 Odometer Reading: 0 miles

Serviced By: REED-LALLIER CHEVROLET, INC.
PO BOX 40637
FAYETTEVILLE, NC 28309-0637
(910) 426-2000 Selling Source: 13 - CHEVROLET
Site Code: 16468
Business Associate Code: 114026

12/22/2000 128 01 I Z7000 - NEW VEHICLE INSPECTION ALLOWANCE N/A N

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the help TOM. I will definately call these dealerships. Unfortunately it doesn't look like a dealership did any of the body work.

I just talked to a lawyer and off of memory they are only aware of a 36-72 hour contract revocation period. He basically said the case would be made upon the used car dealership telling me they knew the previous owner and that it had never been in an accicent or had a problem. My word versus theirs..... That sounds expensive and bleak. I may be stuck with it.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Body work would not fall under warranty, I would contact the body shops of these dealers to see if they did the repairs.
You can also do a title search to find the previous owner(s) and then you can find his insurance company.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Where did the dealer you purchased the car from get the car?Auction? Interesting that alot of used cars go thru the autions, and wind up in different parts of the country. I would think that you may be able to find the owner who owned it when it was involved in the accident, and how much damage was done. May have slid into a curb or something, and did no body damage. Be nice to find out. ( By the way,nice work FRC Tom!)

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Sounds like this car started it's life in Fayetteville NC. I spent 4 years in the Army. Could have been a drucken soldier that originaaly owned it. He probably used the curbs to get him home !
Good luck trying to get things strightened out ! It seems like I always get caught in this situation ! :cheers:

Rob

·
Registered
695 Posts
Re: Re: Bummer

GNX Guy said:
Not totally true.. A car can be totaled out by an insurance company then bought back by the original owner, then resold, all with a clean title.

Joe

Not unless the law in Illinois has changed in the last couple of years. Back when the "Fair Claims Practices Act" or some such was enacted (late 80's?) it became illegal to sell totaled vehicles to anyone other than a licensed salvage dealer. In fact, ins. co's could not "skip" title, i.e. have the car owner sign title in blank, sell the salvage to a dealer and merely hand over the title, at which time they could rebuild and sell with a clean title.
I'm not saying this may not be done currently but the penaltys were significant and at least the company I worked for absolutely forbid us from doing anything but comply with the law. We as a company had to transfer the title to the ins. co. and it would contain the "S" indicating salvage. As I recall (I'm retired) the only exception was if a car was more than 8 model years old.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
INTRCUL One of the things I would be doing right now is locating a GOOD Body Shop, with Laser equipment, and find out exactly what is wrong. A lower control arm would cost way less than a lawyer. Not that you should have to pay to fix the car you just bought, but it may not be totaled( have to do an awful lot of damage to a $50,000.00 car to total it). Atleast if you knew what is bent, you'll know better what avenue of pursuit you will have to follow. I hope it is an easy fix. We will all feel better!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I FINALLY got a hold of the owner of the dealership. He became aware of the problem last night and claimed to have dome some major a$$ chewing about my problems. He was very apologetic and put his promise in writing: To repair or replace everything necessary to bring 01 Corvette back to original GM specifications. I also got his work number and PERSONAL cell phone number and he instructed me to not call the sales manager anymore and to deal with him directly. I would still rather give the car back but he is trying to make it right at least.

Monday morning I drop it off at the local GM recommended laser alignment shop. The shop said they can determine the problem within 3-4 hours. Then it's "fix whatever is bent" procedure. The only problem I see now is when the car is done and the owner is late with payment for the work. The body shop won't release the car until they are paid. I'll see what happens next and keep you guys posted. Thanks for all the help. When I get the car back I start ordering parts!:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts