Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 42 years old and finally had my first mishap. :mah: Of course I did pick a Mercedes SL500 to run into. No ticket, but I rear ended her.

Now. Where to get my baby fixed? Since the hood need to be replaced should I go with an aftermarket? I hear so many horor stories about dealerships, do I dare trust them? I'm still in shock basically and don't even know what else to ask or say.

Craig

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
I'm with you, stay away from the Dealer. Find a good shop that specializes in upscale cars, like the Merc that you hit. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
sorry to hear that. I would say check locally to see what others have said about different shops and visit them. That's what I had to do when my car was hit. Also since that was a pretty penny car you hit, make sure that your insurance is enough to fix the car before looking into getting an aftermarket hood and things. Anothing thing to consider is when you file on your insurance, they usually have guranteed repair shops so that as long as you own your vehicle and there's something that goes wrong with the repair, they'll fix it for free. You may want to check on that.

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
If you have a major insurance company, they usually have preferred shops that they monitor and approve. They have strict guidelines for quality and service. Sometimes that is a good route to take.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I luckily have Allstate at a fairly high level and they assured me that we would both be covered. Since my initial post, I also found a shop through a friend that is an "Allstate Pro Shop". They have the lifetime gaurentee. It may even work out that the RK Corvette High Rise Hood, being that much less that a stock replacement, will cover my deductible.

Thanks guys,
Craig

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
roadster55, If you want the name of a good shop in Fort Lauderdale by Executive Airport. Send me PM. :cheers:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Be Careful.

Keep in mind that if you go with a GM dealer to fix your car it won't necessarily spell out satisfaction. I had major issues wit the GM personnel at the Pembroke Pines FL dealership. I finally had to go with Lexas :thumb: to get the job done right. This was after GM screwed up the clear finish AND after I realized someone at the GM shop stole my valve covers. :jawdrop: Shop boss claimed no one here would take them. :bs:

Most shops send their work out to be done in regards to bodywork and if you pry hard enough, they will tell you who does their work for them. Once you find out who does their work for them, go there and talk with their body people to put your mind at ease.

·
Registered
581 Posts
This is how you do it. Call the MB, BMW, Lexus, Rolls, Bentley, and/or Porsche dealer near you and ask where they send their cars. They have new unsold cars that need to be repaired and then sold as new. The work at the shops they use will be good.

Then have the insurance company inspect it there and negotiate the price with the body shop. You will pay the deductable. But the work will be good.

NEVER use an insurance company recommended shop. They work on low prices to get the referals. The work reflects it.

If you hit her...you are at fault. So you may see the affect in your insurance rates. However, if it is your first, maybe not.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Keep in mind that if you go with a GM dealer to fix your car it won't necessarily spell out satisfaction. I had major issues wit the GM personnel at the Pembroke Pines FL dealership. I finally had to go with Lexas to get the job done right. This was after GM screwed up the clear finish AND after I realized someone at the GM shop stole my valve covers. Shop boss claimed no one here would take them.
I am familiar with that line of dealerships from Pembroke Pines. They have expanded up here into Palm Beach. I have heard some serious horor stories about them. And not just their body shop stuff either.

This is how you do it. Call the MB, BMW, Lexus, Rolls, Bentley, and/or Porsche dealer near you and ask where they send their cars. They have new unsold cars that need to be repaired and then sold as new. The work at the shops they use will be good.

Then have the insurance company inspect it there and negotiate the price with the body shop. You will pay the deductable. But the work will be good.

NEVER use an insurance company recommended shop. They work on low prices to get the referals. The work reflects it.

If you hit her...you are at fault. So you may see the affect in your insurance rates. However, if it is your first, maybe not.
Goood advice. I attempted that 1st thing yesterday. I left my car at home and rode with a buddy of mine. There were merc's, BMW's, Jag's, etc. there. The owner told me that he couldn't do the job as Allstate wouldn't pay what it took to do the job correctly. He then advised I go to a dealership. I badically said what the hell, why do you think I'm here.

The shop that I'm thinking about going to, which was found through a friend, is an Allstate Pro Shop. This was discovered at the end of the initial conversation. We discussed the car for a while, him assuring me that he has the experience, tallent, and reputation necessary for outstanding work, before any insurance company was brought up. It kinda felt that I just got lucky that he happened to also be an Allstate shop.

I haven't spoken to the agent about the possible rate increase yet. I am hoping that since this is my 1st claim in the 20+ years I have been with him, he will not see the need to raise my rate. I guess we'll have to wait and see on this one.

Craig

·
Registered
844 Posts
I know we try to avoid dealerships like the plague. But, give Sharon Dibble at Maroone Chevy in Greenacres a call. She is their Corvette guru and I think will give you some good shops.
:jammin:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Melsy, I'll give her a call.

Craig

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well after about 4 months of BS with the Allstate PRO shop, I just got a check from Allstate. The so called PRO shop apparently totaled my car on the frame machine and ended up having to buy it from me. I just repaced the car yesterday with a Z16 that I found here locally. Finally back in the saddle. Antivenom, here I come!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts