Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

A fellow Z06 owner (UK Z06) is on the road moving from NC to CA and has reported to me that he has low oil pressure (12psi) at idle. When he revs the engine the pressure increases with rpms and appears to be normal while driving.

The only significant event prior to this, which may be related, is his crankshaft underdrive pulley bolt backed out causing the pulley to spin far enough off to hit the steering rack. However, that happened about 6000 miles ago. There are no signs of leaks and the oil level looks good. Any ideas????

His location is currently Kansas City, which is where he'll be until Friday/Saturday.

-RR

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
On a similar note - hard on the throttle should the oil pressure be as high as 60 or 70psi?

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Although it may be a little scary, 12 PSI at idle is not considered low oil pressure. The sender may be bad but as long as the pressure increases with RPM, 12 PSI should not be a concern.

RC - I think 60 to 70 at WOT is a little high but not a problem. I don't have my shop manual handy but I know that they list accceptable pressures v. RPM and I think 60-70 PSI is within range at higher RPM.

Charlie

·
Registered
624 Posts
Z11409 said:
Engine shuts down at 7-8psi

My engine idled at a true 0 psi, which I confirmed by attaching a seperate gauge that I tapped directly into the oil filter to determine whether my sending unit was giving false readings. Turns out my oil pump failed.

In my instance the engine clearly ran with 0 oil pressure (I ran it for about 10-20 secs just to diagnose the prob).

My symptoms were 0 or low oil pressure upon start, then when the throttle was goosed oil pressure would shoot up to 20-25 and remain there while car was at idle. (Before car had about 30 psi warm)

If you revved the motor oil pressure would climb and seem normal.

I'll dig up the thread, which is on this forum.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Sorry, I thought I explained what happened in the below thread, but it just mainly states that I had pump failure.

http://z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82003&highlight=g5x3+dyno

When this happened to me I was hoping it just would be the POS sending unit, but unfortunately, it was not the case.

While 12 psi at idle may or may not be in spec, if your car normally has 30 psi a idle and then the next time youy start it it has 12, I would be concerned!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Tony Skarbic said:
Change the oil sending unit, a common cause.

IMHO, its easier to attach an external guage and confirm that the sending unit is bad before changing the unit.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I took a new oil filter and very carefully tapped a small hole in the filter. I then screwed in a fitting into the filter. I screwed the filter to the housing and and connecetd the guage via the fitting.

Be careful not to get crap in the filter when tapping the hole for the fitting.

I'm sure other people may have better ideas, but this was the easiest and quickest way I could think of.

Of course you can by a plate that goes between the housing and the filter to which a guage can cleanly be connected, but I did not want to waste time or money.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts