Votes: 7 50.0%
  • ET street

Votes: 6 42.9%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be buying a set of drag tires and I'm not sure what ones to get. The choices are all MT tires. Should I get the ET streets, ET drags, or the ET radial? I understand I will need different rim setups with them so don't worry about that aspect. I would like to drive the car to and from the track as well.

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
Casey,
I voted the ET Radial. That is probably the best compromise if you are going to drive it on the street, and I have heard good things about these tires from some of the
Vette guys down in Florida. I know the ET Streets are probably stickier, but they are bias ply, and should be run with the bias ply skinnies up front. I am pretty close to getting new back tires, but am probably going to go with the
Nitto 555R2 D/R's, because I hear good things about how they handle during "spirited" runs through the twisties which I really enjoy in the mountains around here. You are making quite a bit more HP and TQ than me, so I think the stickier
Mickey Thompson drag radials might be your best bet.
Just my opinion, FWIW,,,,,,,,,,, :roll:
Jim

·
Registered
596 Posts
Don Benson said:
Casey,

CCW-ET street package...16" slicks with skinnies up front. :yeadog: :thumb:

Don
M/T ET Streets with skinnies. I tried the 26" and they didn't hook up for me. I went to a 28" 12.5x16 and they work great! I have the LPE mini-tub and the 28's don't rub in the wheel well even with the growth of the tire. IMO I'd stay away from the ET Radials b/c there isn't enough sidewall flex and that's hell on your drivetrain components. CCW has the best package to offer and it looks great! :thumb: Good Luck! :guiness:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
The problem is once you get a sticky of a tire, you start to break other things :z:

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Case:
Et drags wont fit so they're out.

Et streets in 16" need skinnies up front so don't get them unless you plan on getting a ccw (or similar) package.Can easily drive to and from the track Best results.

Et streets 17 inch with stock tires up front. A good choice. You can easily drive to and from the track. May get a bit squirly on the high end when you start going over 125 mph especially on a cold track but not too bad. My buddy has run 10.0 with them and stockers up front.

Et street radials in 17 inch. Are more stable then et streets on the track. Will hook close to as good as the et streets. May not make a difference if your not tracking it all the time and need that extra .05-.1. They will be fine driving to and from the track, but treat them as if you have slicks on.
If your not getting skinnies, I would go with the mt et street radials on 17 inch zo6 rims to match. I'm mot sure if you need the 8.5 or 9.5 inch rims. Wider is not always better, make sure it fits well.
Anyone can break on any tire. Slicks tend to be more forgiving than dr as Mario mentioned above but I don't see you abusing the car as much as some of us do:D
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Jim Lembo said:
Casey,
I voted the ET Radial. That is probably the best compromise if you are going to drive it on the street, and I have heard good things about these tires from some of the
Vette guys down in Florida. I know the ET Streets are probably stickier, but they are bias ply, and should be run with the bias ply skinnies up front. I am pretty close to getting new back tires, but am probably going to go with the
Nitto 555R2 D/R's, because I hear good things about how they handle during "spirited" runs through the twisties which I really enjoy in the mountains around here. You are making quite a bit more HP and TQ than me, so I think the stickier
Mickey Thompson drag radials might be your best bet.
Just my opinion, FWIW,,,,,,,,,,, :roll:
Jim
Jim, make sure you distinguish between the 555r2's and the 555r's. The r2 is a road race tire, makes an awesome street tire, but not a good launch(track tire). The nitto 555r drag radial makes a good track tire and can be used as a street tire as well for guys with alot of hp. Not a great handling tire.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I'm running the Nitto DR's and so far they hook as well as possible !

Rob :cheers:

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
robz said:
Jim, make sure you distinguish between the 555r2's and the 555r's. The r2 is a road race tire, makes an awesome street tire, but not a good launch(track tire). The nitto 555r drag radial makes a good track tire and can be used as a street tire as well for guys with alot of hp. Not a great handling tire.
Robz,
Thanks for pointing that out for me. I am still a month or so away from getting the new tires, and sure don't want to order the wrong ones. I know I can always count on my Jersey brutha's for help and advice. (I grew up in Lyndhurst)
:cheers: Jimbo

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info guys! :coo: :z:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I picked ET street because it sounds better :rofl: I dont know nothing about drag tires, hey guys what is the diffrence between the three? :blush:

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
robz said:
I'm assuming you use them as full time street tires with all that power?
Yes I do because the F1's are useless !

Rob :yeadog:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts