Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have already done the usual searches. Since I plan to bring an intake system to Joe's upcoming Mod Party at ECS, ease of installation is not all that critical.

I need a nudge in the right direction. :z:

Ob.

·
21,378 Posts
Well, if Backlash is there I would get a Vram. He has done a bunch of them and do them in his sleep. Besides, they're pretty good from what I've been told. :cheers:

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
jub jub said:
Well, if Backlash is there I would get a Vram. He has done a bunch of them and do them in his sleep. Besides, they're pretty good from what I've been told. :cheers:

The man has a point (and I'll be there). Less than 2 hours and three beers per system now... :guiness:

In fairless, I have heard that the MTI system is pretty good too, but I have yet to see one up in this area.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Vararam :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
There are a few choices for real cold air intakes. The two that you mentioned, Vararam and MTI. You might also want to look at FRC Tom's system. I don't know if he has renamed it recently or not. He has been making them for several years. He is also one of the founding members of this forum that started back in Jan 2001 when there were just 5 to 10 of us here. You can PM him on here and I am sure he will get back to you. There is also the Breathless Vortex Rammer. It's been around for the longest. It's a very good product and is very easy to install. I also believe Tom Hall (Halltech) is still making a cold air system. I don't kow what the current version's name is but he has made some nice stuff in years past.

Just make sure you get a real cold air intake, one that gets its air from out side of the engine bay.

Don

OB'SZ06 said:
I have already done the usual searches. Since I plan to bring an intake system to Joe's upcoming Mod Party at ECS, ease of installation is not all that critical.

I need a nudge in the right direction. :z:

Ob.

·
Premium Member
4,231 Posts
If the MTI air kit can feed my 630 Crank HP NA motor, I'm sure it will allow enough air to pass for your motor too.

Joe

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
MTI Ram Air.

Another system that looks good is the BPP Vortex -- just an idea.

·
Premium Member
4,231 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen one in the for sale section, probably because they work.

Joe

OB'SZ06 said:
I appreciate the replies. I am keeping my eye out for a deal on a MTI Ram Air. :z:

Ob.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
GNX Guy said:
I don't think I've ever seen one in the for sale section, probably because they work.

Joe
Now Joe in fairness here, not as many of these units have been sold as Vararams and the Vararam is not compatible with most (if not all) supercharger upgrades.

Bottom line is that you can't go wrong with either system (as well as a couple of others). I would think as to where you plan to take your mods in the future and that might be the deciding factor. Good Luck.

Tom

·
Registered
154 Posts
The Vararam is great, but the materials are a bit on the cheesy side when it comes to the airbox connections. I think they need to upgrade the thickness of the plastic, and a better filter system. Mine is falling apart, and I've cleaned it twice since install. I almost wish I had gone with the Vortex Rammer now, at least it sports a filter that wasn't made by Mattel.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Vettitude said:
The Vararam is great, but the materials are a bit on the cheesy side when it comes to the airbox connections. I think they need to upgrade the thickness of the plastic, and a better filter system. Mine is falling apart, and I've cleaned it twice since install. I almost wish I had gone with the Vortex Rammer now, at least it sports a filter that wasn't made by Mattel.
I just installed the vararam. Fun project, took a few hours. I am planning on getting the K&N filter, Part number 33-2522, for it. The filter is came with is a little on the flakey side. When going to the track I would use the filter it came with. For a day drive I will use the K&N. I have not got the K&N filter yet, so I can not personally comment on fit.

Take care,

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
forloop said:
I have not got the K&N filter yet, so I can not personally comment on fit.
You will need to fabricate a foam gasket to get the lid to seal well, but it will fit just fine. Good Luck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts