Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I install the sidewinder intake today, but I feel that they could be some improvement on the positioning. I don't see how you can't have any of the filter sitting on the shroud or how some people almost got them vertically,etc....
-=-
Any reasoning on how the MAF connector sits so high up in the air..Even in the install instructions, it shows that...That way it digs into your hood mat.
-=-
Any documentation on how much of the silicone hose should be on the end of the COBRA section facing the TB??? Depending on how much of it you got on the COBRA affects how far up or down the positioning of the MAF is..
-=-
I would appreciate anybody who has some real closeup side views of the sidwinder installed on the car..:(

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
If your MAF is that high you did NOT install it perpendicular to the Cobra. The rubber fitting inside the Cobra can be moved so the MAF slot fits properly, the Air Foil should be straight up and down. Check out my link for pictures; perhaps they might help with filter placement.

H

·
0 Posts
Sounds like you didn't slid the MAG over the Throttle Body

Our new supplemental instructions show how to slide the carbon fiber MAG over the throttle body. Leave about 3/8" of the silicone out so that when you tighten the hose clamp, you tighten around silicone an not just the carbon fiber.

The MAG is precisely the right length, and will not cause anything to stick up.

If you are stuck call me tomorrow after 10:00 PST at the shop.

Jim Hall

Here are the instructions in pdf (Adobe Reader) format:

http://www.corvettec5.com/store/Install T1/step1-t1.pdf

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Here are some pictures that may help with positioning your sideWinder.

The filter picture, Z1000PS, shows that you can easily get about 3/4" above the shroud. Notice the hose is on top, closer to the engine. I have not propped it up with anything. It sits nicely on its own. I also positioned the filter clamp so the screw is accessible from the front of the car when the hood is open. It makes removing and installing very easy.

The 2 side pictures show where the mag should be positioned so the unit sits "down" and does not touch the hood.

I put in the engine picture to show the finished product.

I hope it helps and eveyone enjoys the pictures. Everyone that I show the sideWinder to, comment on how good it looks.

Don

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the help..i will have to try again on Sunday to get a better fit...I was in such a hurry because i was running out of sunlight out there..

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
did anybody get the velcro piece that is suppose to go on the bottom of the MAG...I didn't get one...How big is it anyway?

H

·
0 Posts
No velcro

We no longer use the velcro to hold the T-1 in place, now that the MAG is installed over the TB.

The torque of the engine would cause undo stress on the T-1 if it was locked in place.

The former kit came with velcro, and the MAG mounted just in front of the TB with a longer piece (3") of silicone. The new one is 1/2 that size. Need to remove that from the instructions.

Jim

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Don,

Thanks for the pics and the hints! Now I don't have to go out to take pics of mine but I will :) lol

T-1 is looking good! :cool:

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I never got any velcro either and have not had any problem with slipping or moving. The unit sits firmly in place. Sorry if the pcitures are a little "grainy". I reduced them quite a bit so they would not create a problem for those with less bandwidth.

Don

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jim,

I think it would benefit other people like myself :-? if you put in the instructions that you have to mount the MAG over the throttle body. I just figure the torque of the engine would damaged it since it being on the throtte body and the engine does move to the right when the gas is applied.
-=-
Also, you might want to put in the deal about applying the filter on the elbow so that you don't put it in too far and lose hp..
-=-
One last thing that probably be good is a front view of the kit installed on the car..

Thanks, hope this info might help everybody in the future.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts