Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While driving my car I suddenly got a strong smell of buring oil inside the car. When I pulled into my garage and looked under the hood I found motor oil all over the front of the car. I also noticed the crank shaft pulley didn't line up with the serpentine belt. The car has only 3000 miles on it. I realize this is an automatic trip to the dealer but would like anyone's input ..... not feeling good at this point:puke: :puke:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think so,I started the car this morning for a short time and it sounded fine, I'm concerned about the pulley shifting.

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Ouch, like Frank said, sounds like the crank bolt is loose letting oil past the front seal......Should be an easy fix for the dealer.....

They will probably push the pulley back on, replace the bolt and belt and clean her up........

JC

·
Registered
5,414 Posts

DO NOT attempt to drive it/ start it again...........you will wind up with the pulley through your hood/acccessories.......etc....
May want to check the bolt, and see if it is still there.......

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The dealer sent a flat bed and picked up the car late this afternoon. Spoke to the service manager and told me he'd have an answer by tomorrow. I'm hoping it's nothing major.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just got a call from the service manager at the dealer late this afternoon and the news is not good. Apparently a pin in the crankshaft failed and the crankshaft shifted forward causing a big oil leak. I'm not sure where the pin is located in the crankshaft or its function, maybe someone mechanically inclined in this forum could explain it in more detail. Although the service manager didn't come out and say it, I got the impression that this should not have occurred. I hope that this is just a fluke in my engine and not a problem with all LS6's. Thanks to all who commented and showed their concerns.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Sorry to hear the problem!! :cry: That is the first time I have heard about this problem and I've been around the Z's since day one. Hopefully one of our Vette Doctors can enlighten us.

Frank

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
??????????????
Hi there,
This sounds very weird, I would request of the dealer that you be shown the pin, and take a pic of it. I dont know what is going on here, but it doesnt sound right to me.
You will not be able to take the part, so, if you cant take a pic, please list the part numbers that will be on your receipt of the repair order.
It just doesnt sound right, c4c5:z:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
C4C5, does it make any sense that the crankshaft will be replaced? The engine was running fine and I didn't hear any knocks or engine vibrations.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
If they are going to change the crank......

......I'd have them do 3 things while they're at it .

1. Install Katech's Rod bolts instesd of the stock ones.
2. Install Katech's billet main caps
3. have a speed shop Blueprint the new crank ie. "knife edge" the crank, have it Nitrided and have all the oil holes camfered with "lead ins", check all the journal sizes and check the balance and trueness, micro polish the journal surfaces, before reinstall.

Just ask the mechanic to let you have it for a couple of days.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
02Z06405 said:
Just got a call from the service manager at the dealer late this afternoon and the news is not good. Apparently a pin in the crankshaft failed and the crankshaft shifted forward causing a big oil leak. I'm not sure where the pin is located in the crankshaft or its function, maybe someone mechanically inclined in this forum could explain it in more detail. Although the service manager didn't come out and say it, I got the impression that this should not have occurred. I hope that this is just a fluke in my engine and not a problem with all LS6's. Thanks to all who commented and showed their concerns.
There is no "pin" in the crankshaft that holds it's location, it is held in place by the main bearing caps. Sounds like they are giving you a song and dance, a bunch of :bs: ... I would start asking a lot of questions and get the part number of the "pin" they claim they need to replace. Watch out, next thing they will be telling you you need a new fetzer valve...

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Unless

the design of the chevy small block has RADICALLY been altered, there is only one (So called pin, a misnomer).......and that would be the harmonic balancer KEY, used to be a washer went OVER the end of the crank, and then a bolt threaded into the end of the crank.
Period.
There is NO way for the crank itself to move forward, without all you main caps loose...........NOT.
What this sounds like, is the unit was left loose, and the bolt backed out/fell off, and moved forward........the only thing keeping the HB on then, would be the woodruff key, and the tension of the belt............
The key, could/would allow the balancer to shift forward, and thus cause the oil leakage........
I suspect, that IF that is the case( no where did I see you say) they were going to replace the crank..........
But, if in fact they do, it sounds like the keyway ON the crank is oversized/damaged.......and would need replacement........
If not, then just a replacement key, and a new bolt, and you're good to go...............
But, what do I know.........I am not c4c5................:-?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts