Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( Ugh!

I'm in posession of one of the early "oil-burners" but still love the car. I'm currently going through an oil-consumption test with the dealer. Consumption is an understatement for sure...But here's the problem...

I've recently started receiving the following codes:
Check engine light...sometimes even flashing
10-PCM 1-Codes
BO-RFA 1-Codes

I clear the codes...

Definite drivability problem...seems to drop a cylinder or mis-fire. Is is possible with all the oil consumption that it's fouling the plugs??? Before I take it back to the dealer I'd like a basic understanding of the possible problems.

:( :(

Great forum...great group!!! Thanks for your help!

T.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
In addition to plug fouling, another problem you may run into with high oil consumption is that over time you will build up carbon deposits in the combustion chambers and on the tops of the pistons.

When the carbon deposits get bad enough, you will start to have pre-iginition problems (detonation/knocking). This is because the carbon deposits stay hot enough to ignite the air/fuel mixture prematurely. The computer will automatically try to compensate for this problem by retarding engine timing. That will result in a loss of power/tq.

This problem can usually be cleaned up by using GM's Top Engine Cleaner, but if the source of the oil problem is not resolved, the carbon build-up will recur over time.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Hi there,
Your flashing check engine light is a result of a misfire in a cylinder. When you retrieve the code, you will see a P0300 code,which will tell you which one you have, please disregard the other module for now, and concentrate on the PCM, as this is where you need to be, please let us know, c4c5

1 - 4 of 4 Posts