Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my new 4.10 rear end arrived, but none of the holes were sealed off and there are packing peanuts, newspaper and other crud packed in along the splines where the half shafts go as well as a bunch of peanuts and crap INSIDE the thing (visible when looking in the big hole where the tranny output shaft goes in).

i could probably clean the crap out of the small recesses along the splines, but how can i be sure i get all the crap out from inside the thing??? it can't be good to have that sh*t in there, right?

so what should i do?

1) open it and clean it out
2) send it back
3) just run it like that cause it'll all get ground up in the first few miles

·
Registered
292 Posts
call the manufacturer, tell them what happened, cuss them out a bit, ask for an RA#, and send it back, ask them to send one that is wrapped in plastic.

Let us know how it works out.
Who's the manufacturer? Are you going to install it yourself? Please be sure to take pics of the swap and post them.

Why did you chose the 4.10 over others? I've been considering this mod also.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, that's what i needed to hear. i thought it shouldn't come unprotected like that, but i wanted to check just to be sure that wasn't standard proceedure among our z06vette supporting vendors.

i hated to send it back because this is the second one they sent. the first and original one off my 1500 mile Z was broken in shipment and was also shipped wide open. however the chunks of aluminum laying in the box curtailed my thorough inner inspection, but i do remember seeing the peanuts packed in along the axle splines.

i just want to get the car put back together, but i also want to do the right thing for the long term. if this crap will contribute to it failing early, then that is certainly something to try and prevent.

in regard to your quereys:

* yes i'm doing the swap myself
* i picked 4.10s because that's what the vendor recommended
* it's not that hard and i can try and get some pics tonight

·
Premium Member
4,289 Posts
ppk1911 said:
ok, that's what i needed to hear. i thought it shouldn't come unprotected like that, but i wanted to check just to be sure that wasn't standard proceedure among our z06vette supporting vendors.

i hated to send it back because this is the second one they sent. the first and original one off my 1500 mile Z was broken in shipment and was also shipped wide open. however the chunks of aluminum laying in the box curtailed my thorough inner inspection, but i do remember seeing the peanuts packed in along the axle splines.

i just want to get the car put back together, but i also want to do the right thing for the long term. if this crap will contribute to it failing early, then that is certainly something to try and prevent.

in regard to your quereys:

* yes i'm doing the swap myself
* i picked 4.10s because that's what the vendor recommended
* it's not that hard and i can try and get some pics tonight
You could also buy a couple of cans of brake clean and spray the hell out of it and float the debris out the drain hole. If everything else is in good shape. As long as there is no metal debris in there you could be ok with the flush. I would think they would use caps or something for shipping? Brake Clean will dry up, and you can fill with diff fluid later. :cheers:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts