Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced a reduction in SOTP accelaration after installing a cold air intake (ram air)? I have an 02 Z06 which is completely stock with the exception of a newly installed MTI Ram Air intake and smooth coupler. I have driven for approx 50 miles since install in order to give the PCM time to compensate. For the life of me, I believe there is less SOTP acceleration, particularly from a stop. Has anyone else had this problem and does anyone have any suggestions. I am not throwing any codes and the idle is fine so I don't think there are any air leaks. Thanks,

John

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Check the coupler. Also, is there a difference in throttle response? You should feel improved throttle response. Is there hesitation? What exactly do you feel?

Alex

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I would say there is less throttle response, particularly when taking off in 1st gear. I have checked both couplers and believe everything is tight. It does seem, however, that once I am above 3k RPM, the response is better than stock. I just seems to be at lower gears/speeds.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I rechecked for air leaks and couldnt find any. Anybody else have any suggestions? Should I put the accordian coupler back on? Thanks for you help.
John

·
Registered
259 Posts
John Youngblood said:
Yes, I would say there is less throttle response, particularly when taking off in 1st gear. I have checked both couplers and believe everything is tight. It does seem, however, that once I am above 3k RPM, the response is better than stock. I just seems to be at lower gears/speeds.
I'm no expert but it sounds like you are running rich . Are you blowing any black smoke , You may need a tune JM $.02

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Try putting the old coupler back on and see what happens. It can't hurt and best of all it won't cost you anything to try. :D :z:

I just put a cold air intake on my 02 with no problems. ;) Execpt I think I may have to buy tires sooner. :lol:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
I would do an Idle Relearn :z:

An Idle ReLearn can be accomplished either of 2 ways:

1. If immediate computer upgrade is necessary or the car runs rough you need to initiate the 5 minute, stepped procedure.

- A/C OFF, Fans OFF
- Ignition OFF
- Disconnect Battery
- Wait 5 minutes
- ReConnect Battery
- Ignition ON (Do NOT START), wait 1 min.
- START to Idle, Verify A/C & Fans OFF
- Idle to allow H2O to reach 176 degrees
- Idle at H2O at or above 176 degrees for 5 minutes
- Ignition OFF
- Wait 30 seconds
- ReStart and verify smooth idle.

ECM/PCM will contuinue to relaern at a faster rate from a correct baseline. Usually complete in 50 miles.

2. If you are willing to wait for the computer to automatically relearn itself, it will take 100 miles, sometimes 200. You should also vary your driving habits during this time. Complete in 200 miles if no other changes made.

Note: ECM/PCM continues to slowly upgrade to your driving habits continually

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all for your advice and comments.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You guys were right, after 100 miles she now hauls azz!!! It must have been the PCM adjusting itself. The MTI True Air intake rocks. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I ran really rich my vararam, didnt see much black smoke, I could smell it and hear it, smelled it on wide open throddles and hear it alot of popping and back fire, now its less that way but I could still use a tune to get the most power and least smell out of it :roll:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts