Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Ya'll

I was trying to install a set of stainless steel brake lines from goodridge today, but I ran into two problems.

1) I could not get the old brake line to disengage from its bracket. I could get the brake hose to unscrew from the brake line. The GM shop manual says take out a retainer but I saw none.

2) I could not get the main bolt from the caliper to unscrew. Maybe I just need a little more muscle strengths to get it off? But I was wondering if anyone knew any trick or a good tool besides a wrench.

Thanks! I appreciate any help and if anyone knows anyway to make the job go smother.

-David

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
The retainer is a thin metal spring clip. It looks like a horseshoe and sits around 3 sides of the fitting. It must be removed to allow the fitting to unscrew. You should be able to find it by feeling a sharp edge on the fitting, it may in fact be close to the bracket that the fitting attatches to. Pull on the sharp edge with needle nose plyers and it will release.

It is wise when removing these fittings to use a fitting or hose wrench, or some call them tubing wrenches or AN wrenches. These give a better grip, spread the torque load and prevent the fitting and tubing from becoming distorted.

In very rare instances I have used a solvent, such as PB Blaster, to loosen rusted fittings but you must be absolutely sure you do not contaminate the fluid.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Thanks!

I think what you are talking about is on the underside of the bracket. I thought that that piece was welded onto the bracket b/c I could not see what was holding it on. Also the piece (clip) I think you are talking about is horseshoe on the inside but square on the outside, but in the GM manual the piece looks rounded on the outside???

-David

1 - 4 of 4 Posts