Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What will yield me better traction for my supercharged torque:

1) 305 Nitto 555 R2 (10.5 inch stock rim)
2) 335 Pzero (12 inch rim)

I hope option # 1!!

Has anyone done any comparison or researhced this type of question?

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
You would think #2 would be the clear winner. The aggressive compounds in the Nitto 555 R2 make it pretty much a tie IMO. :cheers:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Traction is good but not perfect with the Pirelli's. However, when my 335X19 P-Zero's are worn out I am going to replace them with 355X19 P-Zero's. The 355's are OEM on the Ferrari Enzo. No traction in my car until 4th gear ond only on sticky, smooth pavement.

·
Registered
117 Posts
No Traction!

Sack Rat TT said:
Traction is good but not perfect with the Pirelli's. However, when my 335X19 P-Zero's are worn out I am going to replace them with 355X19 P-Zero's. The 355's are OEM on the Ferrari Enzo. No traction in my car until 4th gear ond only on sticky, smooth pavement.
:lol: You have 800 RWTQ...I wonder what the problem is!

Anyway, to answer your question, I think the Nitto's will actually give you better traction, plus you will have to mini tub if you want to run a 12 inch rim. Why not go with a Nitto DR? they are a world of difference over a regular radial, without sacraficing much handling. Good luck! :thumb:

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Would have a better basis to answer if you'd post your rwhp and rwtq.
You might be in Sack Rats league, where no matter what you try won't be of much value.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Im running the 555RII's and am pleased with the traction I get. From a 40 roll in 2nd (meat of my torque band) these things hook and launch the car. I believe you'd have to do a mini tub if you want to do the 335's.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Zrod said:
Would have a better basis to answer if you'd post your rwhp and rwtq.
You might be in Sack Rats league, where no matter what you try won't be of much value.

Good point. I'm at 500 rwhp, 500rwtq.

I am hoping the Nitto's can do the trick.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
RZ01,
I'm running similar hp and tq to spdrcri and I concur. From a 40 roll in second, with Nittos', she hooks pretty good. From a dead stop, ya still really got to feather the pedal or I'm still smokin them in 1ST and 2ND and 1/2 of 3RD.
If your running the Magnuson setup traction will be a little harder to find in 1ST and 2ND due to all the additional low end torque. Best of luck to in finding some decent traction.

·
Registered
596 Posts
rz01 said:
Good point. I'm at 500 rwhp, 500rwtq.

I am hoping the Nitto's can do the trick.
I switched from a Michelin 345/30/19 to a 355/25/19 Pirelli on a 19x13 and noticed a huge difference in traction. I was spinning 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th on those Pilot Sports and it was getting on my nerves! :mah: IMHO if you only have 500 RWTQ depending on your power curve the Pirelli or the Nitto DR (from what people tell me about them) are a good choice. Good Luck! :guiness:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Zrod said:
RZ01,
I'm running similar hp and tq to spdrcri and I concur. From a 40 roll in second, with Nittos', she hooks pretty good. From a dead stop, ya still really got to feather the pedal or I'm still smokin them in 1ST and 2ND and 1/2 of 3RD.
If your running the Magnuson setup traction will be a little harder to find in 1ST and 2ND due to all the additional low end torque. Best of luck to in finding some decent traction.

Thanks ZRod,
Yes I have the Maggie (+ other goodies) setup. I find what you are saying very easily to believe. The torque feels awesome but if I can't use it then maybe I should have tried the Procharger.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
THRLSKR said:
Rob -

Are you running the 305s on the stock z06 rims? How is the tread wear so far? Did you have them heat cycled?
It's not an everyday driver so they are wearing well ! The only time they've been heat cycled is when I drop the clutch :D I'm running them on the stock rims !

Rob :yeadog:

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Sack Rat TT said:

The Enzo uses a Bridgestone 345/35 19 RE050A Scuderia. It's a tall sucker, at 28.6"!

Antivenom 447 said:
I switched from a Michelin 345/30/19 to a 355/25/19 Pirelli on a 19x13 and noticed a huge difference in traction. I was spinning 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th on those Pilot Sports and it was getting on my nerves!

You're the first person I've heard of that has tried both the 345MPS and the 355PZero. Thanks for the info. I think I'll order up some 355s and try them on. The 345MPS is useless for straight line.

What size are you running up front?

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
3,265 Posts
I can't compare the RII tire compared to a wider (335mm) PS2, but there is no way the PS2 will hook up like the 555R. That's the reason I decided _not_ to mini-tub. My 555R's work great for my car from a 20+mph punch. Heck, when its warm outside and I've been driving around, they will actually hook ok in 1st gear (from a roll, of course). ;) Nothing is going to hook up from a standing start except a slick or DOT slick. But since I'm sure 99.9% of your driving isn't at the dragstrip, who cares?

I would go with the 555R and be done with it. If they ever come out with a 335mm wide 555R, then I'll minitub and get those. :D

·
Registered
967 Posts
WA 2 FST said:
I can't compare the RII tire compared to a wider (335mm) PS2, but there is no way the PS2 will hook up like the 555R.
Exactly. :yeadog:

If traction is what you're looking for, any D/R will outgrip a street tire.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts