Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted earlier about the Vette tech telling me 3 of 4 of my rod ends are bad and have play in them. I bought VB&P HD ones and they're inside right now. I'm doing brake work (rotors, Wilwood H's, and DRM coolers) right now and was going to change them out. BUT I can't see any damage and the only play I see is the natural play in the rack.... whatcha all think. How exactly should I move the hub assy to see if there's "play"?

Thanks!

·
Registered
881 Posts
Hey Cobra: I don't know how many miles you have and how many track miles so I wouldn't say they are bad or good. But, I will say this. It is possible that if they ARE worn, you won't be able to feel the wear when the suspension is hanging as in the pictures. I would try grabbing the wheels and see if there is any side to side play when the car is sitting on the ground in the normal ride height position. I think if they are bad, you should feel it then.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Cobra4B said:
I posted earlier about the Vette tech telling me 3 of 4 of my rod ends are bad and have play in them. I bought VB&P HD ones and they're inside right now. I'm doing brake work (rotors, Wilwood H's, and DRM coolers) right now and was going to change them out. BUT I can't see any damage and the only play I see is the natural play in the rack.... whatcha all think. How exactly should I move the hub assy to see if there's "play"?

Thanks!

Have steering wheel locked--use a large crescent wrench,.vise grips etc attached to spindle--try flexing in inward and outward .Remember with a tire/wheel mounted there is alot more stress(leverage) applied to the rod ends.Insulate rod ends as mentioned by others

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Even with the wheel locked the whole rack moves just a hair. Should I have someone hold the other side?

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would "basic" heat shielding tape do the trick for protecting them? The VB&P ones I have waiting to go in (mabe) suppsedly don't need heet protection.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Cobra4B said:
Would "basic" heat shielding tape do the trick for protecting them? The VB&P ones I have waiting to go in (mabe) suppsedly don't need heet protection.
Header wrap or any type of shielding--use aircraft safety wire to attach.
After your done be sure to torque the nuts that hold the suspension cradel to frame

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Z11409 said:
After your done be sure to torque the nuts that hold the suspension cradel to frame
Why? How are the two related?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts