Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help. Those with stock thermostats. What temps do U run on the highway & aroundtown

I just replaced my 178 degree thermostat with a 192 degree stock unit. My question is the temperatures seem to be running around 200 to 217 for the most part even on the highway in 80 degree weather today..(although I let it idle quite a bit earlier)

For the most part the coolant runs around 196 to 198 but does climb higher if I get on it. 210 to 217 seem kind of high to a guy used to a 192 to 198 degrees...on my previous setup..

Just curious what you guys have found.

Thanks in advance.

JB

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I replaced the water pump assembly as the car was overheating and running very hot...up to 243 degrees one time last week (with seepage) and didn't want to deal with any issues..I didn't have the time to fuc around..so out went everything...Swapped out the belts too...

Lo and behold the car still seems to be running hotter than with the 178 degree thermostat but that would be expected with a stock thermostat.

Just can't remember what the stock thermostat would run at its been so long.

Anybody know what they run in the summer with stock thermostat.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
The radiator needs to be cleaned, not the inside but outside. remove it and spray it with high pressure water. :cheers:

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks ...It seems 208 to 217 around town is normal for a stock thermostat if your hot dogging it?

Thats what I'm seeing.

Interestingly enough if this is accurate...the 178 degree thermostat really did drop the temps quite a bit ...(for those with future interest)

I was never sure what it did or didn't do when I installed it. I thought I had lowered the coolant temps as for the most part they ran....187 to 192 range most of the time...ONce in awhile creeping up..

N ow with the stock thermostat...I'm seeing quite a higher number..

Performance seems great...

I'm just watching out of curiosity more than anything else.

Thanks again guys...

JB

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
First, check your fan settings. If that doesn't work, you'll need your radiator cleaned.

Good luck,
Alex

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
You might want to get a Mazier electric water pump. That's what's going on my C5R engine. Engine builder has used 'em for the past couple of years without problems and they work better than stock and you get some more ponies.....their testing showed over 22 HP increase on their engine dyno on the 427 block. NOT JUST FOR DRAG RACING!!

Also, they use Evans coolant, which has a boil over point of over 300 degrees at a very low system pressure. And, they use a "restrictor in place of a thermostat.

As others have said, the first thing to do is throughly clean out the radiator....both sides. There's a real trap between the a/c cooler and the radiator.

Good luck,

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Highway 190-195. Sometimes as low as 185.

In NY rush hour traffic bumper to bumper 200-220 on a 90+ day.

Stock t-stat.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
JB,
The thermostat controls when the coolant flow goes to max which will control the lower temp (if it is working) not the upper temp, e.g. on a cold day the coolant won't go colder than the thermostat opening point as cold air flows through the radiator because the thermostat will close lowering flow and warming the coolant back up to the open point.

The fans control the upper temp under most conditions. They come on in high at about 228 or so. Temps up to that level in hot, low airflow conditions are normal. Before my coversion to T1, I routinely saw temps like yours living in GA.

It also appears your aftermarket thermostat was stuck shut since swapping it appears to have fixed your problem.

If you want to lower your temps now, get your fan turn on points lowered slightly.
:cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
RoHo said:
Changing the thermostat won't make it run any cooler, you need to reset your fans to make that happen
I agree, I have the stock thermostat, and I run between 192/196 depending on how hard I'm driving.

I had the fans reset with my tune :yeadog:

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had the fans reset when I had the ls1tune . The car traditionally ran 187 to 192 and sometimes crept up when I hit heavy traffic. Then I had this problem a week or so ago...Raging temps to 249 degrees.

Replaced the water pump. replaced the 178 degree vinci thermostat since most felt it was sticking and put in a stock 192 degree thermostat.

The coolant only has 24K miles on it and looked fine so just added a gallon dexcool and a gallon of distilled water to replace what came out during the water pump replacement

Car drives great! and doesn't overheat like it did before all this work. I just noticed because I was watching the d. i. c. because of the change over today.

And was surprised by the temperature change with the coolant compared to the 178 degree thermostat...

I'm still working on this if you guys feel my temps are abnormal.

If you feel they are normal with a stock thermostat..then I'll be happy with what I have.

Just wanted to make sure everythings good and report what I am seeing as far as going from a 178 degree thermostat and its comparision to the stock unit..

·
Registered
881 Posts
For what it is worth - my tuner says the temp sensors in our cars are notoriously inaccurate. My coolant runs 190 on the road with a (supposedly since I did not install it) 160 t'stat. I tend to watch the oil temp and keep it displayed on the DIC. I don't like to run it hard below about 175 and at the drag strip when it gets around 210 I let the car cool down, mainly because I figure performance is going down at that temp.

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Well - from this then I am guessing I do have some problem:

My car has been running 225+ water temps and 245+ (highest was 250 yesterday) oil temps recently.

I had the oil changed today - and did a coolant system flush as well. While the car was on the lift the chap cleaned a bunch of debri from the A/C condensor and radiator...

But on the way home this afternoon (outside temp 100F) the water sat at 217 on the freeway, while the oil temp was at 239.

Not much of an improvement - other than checking the fans, is there any other obvious thing to try do get the upper temps down to a reasonable level?

- Paul

·
Registered
881 Posts
RC45 said:
Well - from this then I am guessing I do have some problem:

My car has been running 225+ water temps and 245+ (highest was 250 yesterday) oil temps recently.

I had the oil changed today - and did a coolant system flush as well. While the car was on the lift the chap cleaned a bunch of debri from the A/C condensor and radiator...

But on the way home this afternoon (outside temp 100F) the water sat at 217 on the freeway, while the oil temp was at 239.

Not much of an improvement - other than checking the fans, is there any other obvious thing to try do get the upper temps down to a reasonable level?

- Paul
Paul: Is your car running hotter than it did last summer in similar ambient temps? What was your average speed while observing these temperatures? If it was 100 degrees ambient while in slow or "stop and go" traffic, I'm not sure your temps would be so unusual???

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm just throwing out an idea. Change the belts. That would be my suggestion. It seems to have helped my cars temperatures...

I also changed the water pump as it was leaking a bit and changed the thermostat. Not sure what the car was supposed to run coolant tempature wise in the summer but I am probably on the right track.

Consider changing the belts. Slippage would also cause higher temps.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Paul,
Just looking at those numbers, and assuming they were in low airflow, I don't see anything abnormal about them. If you were going 60 on the freeway and not tailgating, they are a little high depending on the gear. I found the temps very gear dependent on the freeway. Tooling around in 3rd and 4th produces much more friction and hence heat than 5th or 6th.

I'm not saying you don't have a problem, then again, you might not. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Well - this was at 55/60 in free flowing traffic - in 4th I remember that the car would run pretty hot - but normally shifting to 5th and 6th would get the temps to drop off.

But even in cooler weather I see 210 water and 230 oil temps.

I know I have never seen the 180/190 degree temps people talk about.

Belts is a cheap starting point - the car is 60,000 miles young and the belts were doen about 25,000 miles ago.

Maybe the fans are too low RPM?

Thanks for input folks - this is why I don't drive a Corolla - their web forum only talks about rear-view mirror accesories.. ;) hehe

1 - 20 of 22 Posts