Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st I have ordered a new trailer and I am in the process of financing, however it won't be done in time.

I am going to Fla. for the Evolution School, Pro solo and National Tour Solo (all AutoX) in February. Leaving 2/12 and returning 2/26. Of course the Winter weather and all that negative camber prevents me from driving To Fla. from Pennsylvania.

I have rented a nice Aluminum trailer from U-Haul before for $47/day, not bad for a 3 day event with a local return. $150 total.

Here's the problem. I thought I could rent the same trailer again, make the 2 day jaunt to Fla. turn the trailer in as a One-Way, then rerent it (or a similar) for the return back to Pa. Makes sense to me! Around $300. That's reasonable.

Not to U-Haul! They will rent me a nice trailer but...... For a One-Way drop Pa. to Fla. is a 6 day minimum. Cost $320. Yeah, that's right, I only use it 2 days but get charged for 6!! Then have to do the same thing on the return. $640 plus tax!!

OR.... Just rent it for the whole time, 16 days at 49.95/day....$800 plus tax!!!!! Ouch!!!!!!

Any ideas out there?????
Open or Closed, doesn't matter. I'm a beggar and I'm not choosy. I am willing to pay a reasonable fee and will insure on my policy.
I have the power to pull. A '99 Suburban 3/4 ton 454 4x4. Class 3 Factory reciever with 2" ball.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
See if the place where you are ordered your trailer has a used trailer they will "rent" you until your trailer is finished. Sometimes these guys are pretty flexible.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Damn,.. Are there any other places were you can rent besides u-haul??? A couple of local places near me are willing to rent per week for long haul users..

·
Registered
111 Posts
There are many steel trailers manufactured at very low cost. Buy one , use it a few years, and sell it for close to your investment. A friend of mine just sold a light weight steal trailer in very good condition for 750.00

·
Registered
83 Posts
I agree, buy one! You can get a nice steel 16' to 18' for $1100 & up new. After checking into this myself (renting one), I just bought one. I did it primarily to keep excessive miles off of the car when going to out of town Corvette shows. If you check around you may even get a better deal for a used one that needs a little repairing. Good luck!

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm a contract designer (tramp draftsman) and work out of town alot. I always rent from Ryder. They are cheaper than U-Haul and their trailers are alot better than those rattle trap trailers I see from U-Haul.

They are a solid, one-piece aluminum job with a full length, solid loading ramp. It is solid and fold up behing the vehicle.

https://www.yellowtruck.com

Get a 10% discount by reserving via internet.

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Another possibility is Penske Truck Rental. I've rented trucks for moving purposes, on 3 different occasions and was completely satisfied with the superb conditon of the trucks, and their service. Not sure if they rent car trailers, but it wouldn't hurt to call. Plus, they offer discounts to AAA Insurance members.

Hope this helps....good luck on the track!

Zip :z: :z:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts