Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Check with your insurance agent. After a chat with mine they informed me that they fix rock chips for free. A further chat with the fix it guy as he fixed a chip my parents put on my sisters bimmer (this all started because they were trying to fix the big chip they put in her winshield), he says that most ins companies will pay to have them fixed because it reduces the probability of a wreck while driving at night.
So, if you really hate them, check with your agent, and then check with the guy that does the fixing to see if they are large enough to fix.

I asked about pitting on my firebird and he said there wasn't much to do about the small ones. They were a way of life. To get them out he would have to drill them bigger and you might end up seeing a bigger mark after fixing it.

You might check out some of the winshield polishers that I have seen. I have no idea if they work, but they appear to attach to a drill and work in an orbital fashion.

chris

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Did this happen on the freeway or on back roads?. My experience during break in was to keep the car off the freeway to mix up the Rpm's more.Once I finished breaking her in I took the car on the freeway and a good ole rock flew up nailing the windshield.My best advice is if you take the freeway try to keep your distance from other vechicles.

·
Registered
425 Posts
chrisj,

What insurance company do you use? I seem to be replacing atleast one windsheild a year with the cost out of my pocket.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I use farmers and it has the same policy to fix rock chips for free. The reason they gave me was that if left unfixed it will crack and can be claimed on insurance then (less your deduct) but still costing them much more than the 20-30 bucks for the vacuum fix for chips.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I have State Farm.
The guy that did the work for me said that most of the big carriers have this policy.
I have also heard that there is windshield or glass insurance for your car. I don't know any details about that, but it might be something to look into.

chris

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
It's a fact of life..There really is no way to prevent them where we are so close to the ground. My car has 3100 all highway miles and the windshield has quiet a few of them... I know the eastwood company sells a buffing kit that works really good to remove the smaller pits!!! www.eastwoodcompany.com But you can over buff the windshield and ruin it so be careful:cheers: :cheers:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts