Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Stock cats or magnaflow cats with headers & Bullets?

Due to budgetary issues, I've decided to go with Jet Hot Headers, since they can be had for around $600 and come ceramic coated to avoid heat problems. I know that a full system of LGs, Kooks, or Supermaxx are better, but I'm 22, make only 25k a year, will get my BS later this year, and still have 3 years of schooling to get an MBA.

That being said, I wan't my $600 to be well spent.

1. Should I spend $120 for magnaflow cats as well? Would the hp difference be any more than 4 or 5? I have Bullets, which have no mufflers, only resonators, so I was thinking that maybe I could keep the stock cats and my system would perform as well as if I replaced the cats but had an exhaust with mufflers.

2. What will be the sound difference if I keep my stock cats? Will just long tube headers alone make my car sound better, or is removing the stock cats the real key to better sound? Keep in mind, I have B&B Bullets.

3. I have a weld-on x-pipe lying around. Should I have it installed? Will it net me much hp If i already have longtubes and bullets? Also, would an x-pipe negatively affect sound and cancel out any gained sound from the headers?

Thanks for any help in advance! Also, going catless is not an option for me.

P.S. Does anyone in the Jacksonville, FL area know of a good exhaust shop I can trust with my 'vette?

:z:

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
? :-?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
my opinion if you're going to spend money why not get the best and most performance, Yea it costs more but then again why spend $600 plus installation or maybe tuning to not all the power you can get out of the modification, or do those headers you talk of make as much power as the top of the line?

sorry to be straight forward but why spend money if you really dont need it, I want headers but it will cost me $2000 as a complete project but its not a necessaty so Im holding off for more iimportant things, plus my car runs great without them which was built to run with the stock ones anyways for decades :D

·
Registered
413 Posts
will82....on a tight budget your scenario will work...could even consider no cats and get a tune instead of cats...no cats let tuner add a little more timing (hp)....good luck

·
Premium Member
4,231 Posts
Based on your scenario, the prudent thing at this point would be to do nothing. Money must not be tight if your willing to spend in on un necessary upgrades.

Joe

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
Save your money and either buy a set of LG's, Supermaxx or Kook's long tubes, when money is not so tight :yeadog: and then get a tune :thumb:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Drive your car and enjoy it stock or buy good headers such as Kooks or LG's without cats. :cheers:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts