Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry guys, this is about my GF's 1999 Cavalier Z24, If yo' dont mind I need help. the darn thing brakes like crazy in the rear, It doesnt even give the front brakes a chance, the adjusters are all the loosen up, I actually backed up hard and then forward ( a trick my Dad told me about) and it went back to normal braking mostly on the front) but then a few days later it returned to bracking mostly on the rear brakes, any help is greatly appreciated, thanx

luis

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
It's possible that there's a problem with the fronts but it's more likely the proportioning valve.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx for the input! Not taking the fronts out of question but the rears go at a slide with just a touch of the brake pedal, theres something making the rears brake way more then the fronts :-?

where would I find that proportioning Valve?

·
Premium Member
10,998 Posts
You really ought to consider getting the Chiltons manual for the car if you are going to tinker with such a critical safety item like brakes.

·
Premium Member
4,333 Posts
It sounds like you have more problems then the rear brakes. I agree with panzer that you should get a book or take it to a professional.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
To add to my original post...I agree with the others that if you're going to troubleshoot this yourself, a shop manual is a good bet. It will guide you through the steps and keep you from chasing your tail. The proportioning valve is usually located on the frame rails somewhere between the master cylinder and the rear brakes IF the car is equipped with one. On certain vehicles, the function of the P-valve may be incorporated into the master cylinder. (I know that C5 vettes have a bias spring in the master cyl that performs the same function). This valve is essentially a pressure reducer. Since weight shifts forward upon braking, the valve prevents too much pressure from going to the rears and locking them up

1 - 7 of 7 Posts