Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently debating the following tire selection.

F1 Supercar 265/40/17 - 295/35/18
BFG G-Force 275/40/17 - 295/35/18
Michelin Pilot Sport 265/40/17 - 315/30/18

Any ideas which tire would give me the best all around grip on the road? I've heard a lot about the G-Force but I'm wondering if the wider Michelin would be better. I'm thinking I don't really need the 275 in front since the car is oversteer happy as it is. Not at the point yet where I'm buying just drag radials or just hoosiers for autocross so I'm looking for the set the "does it all?"

Any idea on how the wear compares?

427L

·
Registered
596 Posts
I was pretty happy with the Michelin Pilot Sports. I just started running a Pirelli in the rear but the Michelin is a good tire overall IMO. Good Luck! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Have you checked into the Nitto 555RII's or Toyo Proxy T1-RA's (I think). They are good "all around" tires but wont last you as long as the tires you mentioned. I have a set of RII's on the rear and Im guessing their wear time to be about 8k miles. That is without any autocrosses or DE's, just some occasional "spirited" driving.

Jim

·
Registered
891 Posts
I think the BFG KD is better than the GY F1. The F1 is an GM OEM compromise tire. I ran the GY at a few DE's and thought they were a bit scary. The KD will give you a lot more confidence seat of pants. They almost feel like R-compound tire when new. My KD's were really spooky when they were down below the wear bars in the rain... but maybe the GY or any tire would hydroplane with virtually no tread. I switched back and forth several times last year between events. The KD is king on dry pavement.

The Pilots have always been good tires. The old MXX Pilots were the equal of the KD, but the new Pilot Sports are biased a little more to wet weather. Take a look at the outside tread blocks. Big blocks with no sipes is a better dry tire all things being equal.

The GY seem to wear fast for some and not for others. IMHO GY tires seem to harden up rapidly, so if you don't wear them out right away, they will last forever. The KD's usually would be competitive in AX for almost two seasons. I usually ran them for 2 1/2 -3 years which is maybe 12,000 miles and 20 DE events and as many Solo II type events.

Dunno anything about Nitto & Toyo. The only guy who outruns me on street tires at timetrials events currently has MPS tires. I suspect he is just a better driver. :)

I hope this helps :cheers:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I prefer the GYs over the KDs. I would stay away from the Pilot Sports. If I were you, I'd get the Michelin PS2s. The Pilot Sports (first generation) are a step down from the GYs (what I've heard).

GYs are a good all-around tire.
PS2s are supposed to be a little better than the stock GYs.
KDs, sorry, I would pass on those.

Good luck,
Alex

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have the firestone wideovals. I just got them installed about 1 month ago, i have done around 1400miles on them already, and I find them to be a very good street tire. I drove in rain storms with confidence. and ... they are pretty quiet on the hwy, all around I am very satisfied.

I can't really compare them to any other tire, when I got my Z, the stock Goodyears were completely bald. I didn't have any traction, even 3rd gear shift would spin. Now with the wideovals, as soon as I shift to 2nd gear, I get 100% traction, and I was pretty surprised how well they grip, and they don't squeal on the curves.

anyway, i don't do any autocrossing or road racing, i just drive on the street, and I am very happy with them, and I believe they are the most inexpensive tires on the market, i think they sell for around $600 on tirerack.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I have had the PS2's on for about two months now, and they are better than the F1s in just about every aspect. The tires themselves are also a few pounds lighter than the F1s they replaced- yielding very desireable reductions in unsprung weight. I don't know exactly what happened at Indy last week, but the Michelin PS2s are a lot closer to the rubber that the wining C5R and C6Rs run than they are to Formula One tires.

;)

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
PS-2 Michelin are very good, grip, ware and lots of $$$, (good all around tire for a daily driver). Should last a long time. Nitto 555 RII are sticky but burn down pretty fast. If you drive just on the weekends they will last for a while. Lots of tires for mild to wild money and purpose. It depends on what you want to do with your car.

D.J.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
BLEUBYU said:
I have had the PS2's on for about two months now, and they are better than the F1s in just about every aspect. The tires themselves are also a few pounds lighter than the F1s they replaced- yielding very desireable reductions in unsprung weight. I don't know exactly what happened at Indy last week, but the Michelin PS2s are a lot closer to the rubber that the wining C5R and C6Rs run than they are to Formula One tires.

;)
:yeadog:

·
Registered
878 Posts
IMO-depends on you modifications-if your basically stock -i replaced with F1's again and i am happy with them-weight, traction overall..i think i would have gone with the nittos,but i do think the way i drive -they would probably only last about 12K on the rears...which makes them sorta "pricey", but the last 5K mi on my F1's seem to be worthless on traction..
good luck
i feel i gained back about a 20 hp loss in traction , just having new tires :usa: on the rear..

·
Registered
844 Posts
About 2 months ago I installed Toyo T-1s on the front. Very quiet and smooth and suppose to be awesome in the wet. My local Firestone dealer got them for me for less than me buying on the Web and having them shipped to my home. I looked at the Firestone Wide Ovals, but am wary after having been bitten by them back in the 70's with their 500's--and if you check the Web, there are still all kinds of horror stories today. :guiness:

·
Registered
38 Posts
i've owned pilot sports, s03's, and KDW2's. and hands down the KDW2's are the best tires i have owned. unbelievable grip for a street tire. i AUTO X, DRAG, and ROAD RACE.

BFG KDW2'S get my vote

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had the pilot S03's on my former Grand National ([email protected]) car. They worked really well considering the car. I JUST moments ago put my new Nitto 555RII's on the Z06. DEFINITELY more grip than the F1's, but unfortunately not as much as I had hoped. But I guess I'm asking too much from a tire with tread.... Personally, I really liked the Pilot S03's at the time and they were surprisingly well at handling some power (once again sonsidering they were a street tire with decent treadwear rating)...

Just my lowsy 2 cents worth...

Derrick

·
Premium Member
4,289 Posts
I have Pilot Sports on now in the stock sizes. They work very well all around use. Very good in water. They are the only company out there that makes a 315 size tire that is not a drag radial. I will go with them in PS2's next time unless some other tire companies get there heads out of there asses and make more choices for us.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts