Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is that a word?
I am moving from Rochester NY, to Naples FL. ;)
I have purchased a 24ft. Race car trailer (Haulmark EliteII), and plan to transport my Z in it. I have a Ford F-350 pcik up to pull it with. My question is what is the best way to tie a Vette down to trailer it long haul?
What part of the car should I tie down to? Any other tips or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

jb

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Trailering

First a very basic rule and one which is sometimes overlooked.
PUT THE HEAVY END FORWARD!!! Although the Z06 is pretty neutral 51/49 you still want the front end forward.

Secondly, you may have to use some extended ramps or put the ramps on a 2x8 piece of wood or series of "steps" to keep it from scraping either on the approach to the ramps or as it enters the trailer bed. (One trick is to use the trailer jack with the hitch still attatched to the tow vehicle and raise the tongue to decrease the approach and conversion angle.) A trailer with a beavertail helps. You may also want to consider removing the front outboard spoiler pieces and even the center section if necessary.

Now on to your real question, tiedown. I assume you have some sort of "D" ring on all four corners in the floor of the trailer. Attatch your ratchetting tie down straps to these and the FRAME of the Vette. DO NOT attatch the car using suspension pieces. Some use "T" hooks and use the slots in the frame used by the factory for initial shipping. Some cross the tie downs to the opposire side, others don't. I always use a loose safety chain as well...even in an enclosed trailer. I saw the gate fall on an enclosed trailer and the race car came rolling out the back as the truck left the race track gate,.... the driver didn't even realize it until he was 2 miles down the road; when he finally looked in the rearview mirror and saw the sparks from the tailgate door dragging. We all were waiting for him as he came back 20 minutes later red faced to pick up his car. Just think what would have happened on the Interstate.

Which brings me to the next piece of advice. START TOWING SLOWLY at first. Trailer/Tow Vehicle dynamics change with speed, road conditions, pavement, weather and temperature. Check everything twice and then again. Check everything all over again at each stop: Tire pressures, tie downs, safety chain, lights, brakes, hitch, transmission fluid. Be Paranoid!!

Above all make sure the hitch, ball, hitch extensions, tongue and trailer are all properly certified for the weight you are carrying.

·
Registered
267 Posts
some other items you should consider. If you have mag rims, check the torque on the lugnuts before you start out. As for tongue weight, you should have 10-15% of total weight of car and trailer--about 750-900 lbs. Often a large travel trailer dealer will have a scale designed for this. For a nominal fee, they will weigh it for you.

Puting the T hooks on a C5 is difficult when it is in the trailer, I usually drive up until the front wheels are on the trailer bed and attach them at that time. Then finish loading the car.

I would also recommend load distributing bars and an anti sway bar. This aids when going by semi's and up and down mountains, especiall I 77.

Finally, as DJWorm says check the tire pressure, etc. before and during your trip.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for the detailed response.
DJ no problem with the paranoid thing, I'm all over that.
Where does one get T hooks?
thanks again.

jb

·
Registered
267 Posts
I got mine at the local trailer supply company, he had T hooks, J hooks, tie downs, etc. As I remember they were about $5 each.

·
Registered
345 Posts
This is going to sound bizarre but I would check the ball hitch VERY carefully too. I had one break on me in a trip through Nashville while moving to Auburn and the only way I knew it was because someone pulled up next to me and started honking their horn so I rolled down my U-Haul window and heard the hardest question I have ever been asked, "Were you towing a car???"

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
You could also use the cross members in addition to the frame tie-down locations.

Also, have any of you seen that new 4ws GMC pickup? Supposedly it has a trailering mode that makes pulling a trailer much safer.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
These guys really set you up with some solid advice from their own experiances, you would be wise to listen to them. Ain't this a great site, brothers lending helpful advice. :cry: :p Bill

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi all
I don't know how this thread got started up again. It has been several months since I posted it.

The trip to Florida went great. Thanks to all of you who shared your advice.

Now that I am here I am looking to sell my Z06.:(

I have had alot of fun with this car, but unfortunatly life gets in the way sometimes (building new house, starting new business).
I have posted details in the cars for sale section.

This is a great site.
Thanks
2K1 Z06

1 - 14 of 14 Posts