Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any help with the following problem will be greatly appreciated:

Last Friday when driving on the highway from Mexico City to Acapulco, after driving about 200 Km, the "High transmission temperature" warning appeared in my Driver Information Center. The car was at the time operating normally, with oil and coolant gages all in the normal operating range; outside ambient temp. was 27 degrees centigrade, and the warning appeared about 5 min. after a 6th to 5th downshift done at about 160 kmph, accelerating to about 185 Kph. My owners manual says that this warning feature is intended only for an automatic transmission; clearly, since I own a 01' z06, this is not the case. Upon the appearance of the message, I decelerated and kept going for about 5 min., and I selected the "transmission temp. gage" on the DIC. Transmission temp. was 132 cent. and climbed to 134 cent. during the next 5 min., until I stoped to do a visual inspection of the transmission whitch looked fine with no leakage nor any noises; all other gages and functions remained normal. After letting the transmission cool down for 5 min., I carried on with my trip and the trasmission temp had lowered to 126 cent. and climbed again slowly but steadily again during the remaining 150 Kms of the trip arriving to my destination with a transmission temp. reading of 132 cent. On the return leg the exact same problem ocurred again. I wonder whether this warning feature and gage function are realy applicable to my car or are only something that was left in there for ease of production reasons, and if the transmission oil might in fact sufferd overheating.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Normal, considering the climate that you are in

Hi there,
We do know that tranmission overheating issues will be there when you are in hot climates, as you are.
Especially when running high rpms, temperature conditions will arise, the faster that you go. This is why GM performance parts sells manual tranmission coolers, to combat this condition while racing.
You can check your local GM dealer, and if you would like to do high speed runs , without installing this cooler, change your fluid.
Install Mobil 1 synthetic Dexron 3 automatic transmission fluid. This will resists oxidation more than standard Dexron 3 which is in your trans now. It may also lower your temps a bit.
No, you did no damage, and as long as you keep these facts in mind, you will be fine.
Besttoyou, c4c5

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Help with transmission problem

Thank you very much for your help! It appears that my car already has a transmission oil cooler mounted just in front of the front axle;were you referring to the convenience of substituting it for a more efficient one? in that case, can you provide me with the respective GM part No. or with any suggestions for an aftermarket unit? it would appear that I need to reduce the transm. oil temp. by approx 10 deg. cels. Is the existence of this DIC warning function normal in a z06 even if the manual says it applies only to autom. transm.? Do you know what the maximum normal operating temp. in sustained conditions is? Best regards and thanks again for your help.:)

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Re: Help with transmission problem

Miguel Ruggeri said:
Thank you very much for your help! It appears that my car already has a transmission oil cooler mounted just in front of the front axle;were you referring to the convenience of substituting it for a more efficient one?
That is not a transmission cooler, but a cooler for the power steering fluid. Trace the lines going in/out of it and you will see :D.

I didn't think the Z06 actually reads out the transmission fluid temperature on the DIC -- am I missing something here? Maybe it only activates when an overtemp condition is present? I was under the impression that you only got an "Overtemp" warning message on the DIC, but no real temperature measurements.

Can someone clarify this?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I am with ZeeOhSix.

I was told no DIC display of trans temp unless there is a high temp condition?

I cannot check my trans temp on the Z like I could in my 98 Coupe? It's not an option on the DIC. Skips from Coolant Temp to Battery Volts :eek:

Am I missing something also?

Thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
Miguel,
I live in Monterrey Mexico, and as you may know we have record breaking temperatures over here. I have not had that problem at all, and i ve used the car on highways quite often. as c4c5 said you probably did not damage the tranns, altough you may want to check it out at the local dealer or corvette shop. i also wanted to suggest to turn on the private messaging in the profile so we could message ea other in spanish in private since it would be rude to post it public in spanish. welcome to the forum..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
help with transmission problem

Thank you very much for all your help! It appears that under normal conditions you do not get a Transm. Temp. reading from the "gages" function on the DIC; I was only able to do so after the warning message appeared on the previously blank DIC screen and subsequently this function was available for about 3 days afterward; I lost it when I moved the "gages function" to review other readings. In any event, I wonder if this warning and sporadic function is really applicable to the manual transmission in our cars or if it is only a vestigial function carried over for some reason from auto transm. cars. I also wonder what is the normal operating temp. range for the transm, and whether any of you could be so kind as to recommend a transm. oil cooler. I will gladly enable the private messaging feature in my profile

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Re: help with transmission problem

Miguel Ruggeri said:
It appears that under normal conditions you do not get a Transm. Temp. reading from the "gages" function on the DIC; I was only able to do so after the warning message appeared on the previously blank DIC screen and subsequently this function was available for about 3 days afterward; I lost it when I moved the "gages function" to review other readings.
Interesting. As I mentioned above, maybe the actual temp of the tranny shows after an "overtemp' warning message is displayed. On the coupes and converts with the auto tranny, you could always monitor the tranny temp on the DIC, but I know you can not do this on the Z06 -- I always thought it was stupid that it couldn't be done.

As far as a 'normal' operating temperature of the tranny fluid, I think it really is dependant on the outside air temperature and how the car is driven. Obvioulsly, if it is really hot outside and the car is driven hard and/or fast, the tranny temps will increase. The more HP that is put through the tranny, the more heat is produced from the internal friction on all the mechanical parts.

I think C4C5 said that a tranny cooler can actually be bought through GM racing parts -- maybe the GM dealers can help you there. There might be some after market coolers too, but I'm not aware of who they are at this time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
transmission problem

Thanks again! Unfortunately my car is as alien to local dealerships as a Martian spacecraft! It appears that they only limit themselves to selling them! After all, there are only 93 in all of Mexico at this time;)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Miguel,

If memory serve me right, you might have the export edition of the Z06. I thought I read somewhere they were shipped with the trans cooler installed. That is probably why you can read the temps on the DIC

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
help with transmission problem

Thanks for your help! It may very well be possible; I will get myself a ramp to check on this. Best regards

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Re: Re: Help with transmission problem

ZeeOhSix said:

That is not a transmission cooler, but a cooler for the power steering fluid. Trace the lines going in/out of it and you will see :D.

I didn't think the Z06 actually reads out the transmission fluid temperature on the DIC -- am I missing something here? Maybe it only activates when an overtemp condition is present? I was under the impression that you only got an "Overtemp" warning message on the DIC, but no real temperature measurements.

Can someone clarify this?
Export models do.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I thought that they didn't export any Z06's.

I too think it is rediculous that you can't check the tranny temp on the gages display.

You can only see the tranny temp if you get the overheat message on the DIC. Press reset once and it shows the temp. But if you choose another gauge to be displayed on the DIC you loose the tranny temp :/

I thought people said that GM voids warranty if you put trans or diff coolers on :/

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
ZO SIC said:
I thought that they didn't export any Z06's.

I too think it is rediculous that you can't check the tranny temp on the gages display.

You can only see the tranny temp if you get the overheat message on the DIC. Press reset once and it shows the temp. But if you choose another gauge to be displayed on the DIC you loose the tranny temp :/

I thought people said that GM voids warranty if you put trans or diff coolers on :/
Hmm, maybe I was thinking C5, not Z06...

I agree that we can't see trans temps, pretty lame.

I'd like to see GM prove that adding a tranny cooler will harm the vehicle. I believe they can't void the warranty without proving this. Some federal act I believe, I could be off base tho.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yes by law GM or any other manufacturer must prove that the added part caused the damage. But for some reason I keep hearing that GM will void warranty with their (T1) tranny/diff coolers installed. Besides the trans cooler costing $750-$900 and isn't the best design.

Supposedly there is no filter going into the pump so once there is some metal particle floating around the pump takes a crap at $250 a pop (again somebody elses words here.) And the way GM tells you to wire it in the instructions (WHA!?!?! GM provides INSTRUCTIONS with something???) the pump runs constantly when you stop after driving. So if you fill up gas the pump is running, etc.

I may look into the coolers, but I'm not that serious about it. I can handle having the trans temp overheat come up once each Track Day. I'll try some Redline D4 before a cooler.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Help with transmission problem

Thanks for your ideas! I think I will talk with the "expert " at my local dealership and besides find out if the Redline fluid or the Mobil 1 fluid are available in Mexico. Best regards. Miguel

1 - 16 of 16 Posts