Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe someone can help me with a friendly disagreement I am having with a friend at work. He says the first year Z06 came with black wheels or a black wheel must have been available as he has seen several with black wheels. I told him that I thought that when the Z06 was first introduced that the only wheel available the first year was the dull magnesium Z06 wheel. A polished or chrome wheel was not offered the first year and a black wheel was not offered then or ever "from the factory". I'm sure as I've seen black wheels on plenty of cars that after market versions of original wheels are available in black. Maybe someone here can clear this up for us.

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
You are correct. The first year wheel was also forged and the later ones were cast.

Btw, I've been thru your fair town quite a few times. I've been to the track there also.

·
Registered
603 Posts
As Norman said, you're correct.

They were definitely a darker shade of gray than the '02-04 cars, so they can almost look black @ times...

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
This is my old 2001 Z06 with the only wheels available from the factory. Black wheels were not available on the Z06 in 2001, or ever.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
You have the info correct - they were not offered in black from the factory.

Consider this: the factory brakes on these cars release a lot of brake dust, perhaps darkening the wheels even more. That could be what your friend has seen.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bought a set of ZO6 wheels from Detroit Wheels. They claim they are from 2002 Zo6. This was e-bay item #130202969577. Can anyone give me any info on these?

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
To go along with some of the other info

The Z06 rims are Aluminum not Magnesium

Never offered from the factory in Chrome. One color only Gray

The 01 (forged) wheels are a shade darker in color and the ribs have a sharper edge as well as being slightly smaller.

The 02-04's and up are slightly lighter in weight.

Factory OEM Rim Weight
01 ZO6 17x 9.5 19.6 lbs.
02 Z06 17x 9.5 19.2 lbs.
01 ZO6 18x10.5 21.4 lbs.
02 Z06 18x10.5 21.0 lbs.

The 01 wheels are slightly heavier as they are forged vs the 02-04's which
are spun-cast.

Some say the 01 rims polish up better because they are less porous. IMO it doesn't matter, both chrome up equally well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts