Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all

I´ve just purchased a second hand 2002 z06. I am certainly concerned about some strange sounds I experienced at cruising speed. I noticed 2 kind of sounds while I am driving over 70 miles:
1. The first one is a regular rythm (I mean: sound/ nothing/ sound/ nothing...). I cannot identificate where is coming but it sounds like something that is grazing some part of the car. I can perceive it under my feet like a vibration. As I said it sound like ¡¡room-room-room!!. I cannot hear it at low speed but it appears as the speed increases
2. The second one could come from the rear of the car. It seems that come from the tires. Is like a hawling that increases as the car goes faster. It is a regular sound as well.

Any of you can help me with this annoyed thing???

NOTE: The dealer mounted the folllowing tires instead of the original size
.......Front 245/45zr17
.......Rear 275/40zr18
I would appreciate your support.

I am from Spain. Perhaps is the unique z06 in my country and I invested all my ilusion and money on it.

Thank you in advance for all your help
Regards

·
Registered
308 Posts
Sounds like both of the situations you describe could be tire related.
Look to see that the larger tires are on the rear. If so look at the rear tires to see if they are scalloped, any uneaven wear will do what you describe.
Welcome to the site. I'm sure there will be many more members that will chime in.
Enjoy you new ride.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Are you hearing the noice with the radio ON? I know this is a simple response, but I can hear vibration "at speed" through the gas pedal that is on again, off again. I tracked it to the radio bass due to the fact that the radio sound will increase as the speed increases. Just a thought.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Sounds like the front tires might be slightly out of balance and slightly different in diameter. When the out of balance tires line up with each other the vibration will be at its peak. When they are opposite of each other the anti-sway bar cancels out the vibration. The slight difference in circumference (normal) causes the vibration to come and go ans well as curves in the road.

·
Registered
77 Posts
oooo ooo oooo i know what it is!! hehe mine did the same thing... id be willing to put money on it your wheel bearings/hub are going bad.. .i had to replace mine under warranty and lots of vettes have problems with them.. exact same sound... also when they fixed mine they forgot to do something up and it flopped around and made a slapping noise so i took it back and they said they forgot to do a connector up and it was slapping my undercarraige.... but yeah.. check your wheel bearings.. mine was my rear right bearing :(

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you

Thank you for your response

The car is now at the garage, They will substitute the rear wheel bearings this week. Please, could you confirm me that both sounds come form the same problem?

Thank you again

Regards

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
Congratulations on the Z and welcome to :z:
How many miles/km on the Z? Any service history available on the car?
Nothing to add to above suggestions; it may be wheel bearings, and/or something else.
Hope it does not cloud the owning and driving experience. Are there many Corvettes in Spain?
You've got some terrific driving roads. I was there in early '74 (drove from Madrid to the Costa Del Sol, '75 (drove from Germany to Costa Brava), again in '82, (Valencia and south) and '84 (southern coast around Gibraltar), and I'm sure things have changed, but there is room to run!
Enjoy! :jammin:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts