Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 black vette and it has gotten 3 or 4 small gravel chips on hood, please tell me how to repair these without messing up my car. They are driving me crazy. Thanks for all your help as I am a new member here and value all of your input. Thanks

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
Well, it all depends on your comfort level around paint.

When I get a deep chip, I apply two coats of touch up paint. The reason I do two is because when the first one dries, it usually leaves a recessed area. You want the paint to be built up over the existing surface. Then I wet sand and polish out the paint. Voila, it's like it never existed.

If you don't feel comfortable doing this, you might take it to a detail or paint shop. They can surely get you fixed up.

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
Welcome to :z:, Sherry
Echo what Norman said ^^^^
I worked on paint chips on my Torch Red '94.
I use a front mask on my Z. Other than that, I've given up on chips.
Once you get the chips fixed, only way to keep them from recurring is to a) don't drive it ... not an option
b) wear some protection ... add on mask or fixed transparent film that is a bit pricy but works. There are some threads here on 3M film and Dupont film.
Even with b), you won't absolutely be free of nicks ...
HTH

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Not a paint expert, just want to say:

WELCOME! :cheers: :cheers:

Zippy :z: :z:

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
sherry said:
I have a 2005 black vette and it has gotten 3 or 4 small gravel chips on hood, please tell me how to repair these without messing up my car. They are driving me crazy. Thanks for all your help as I am a new member here and value all of your input. Thanks
I have a black 2003 hood. Brand new. 6 coats of Zaino and three coats of Adams. I replaced the hood with a MCM carbon fibder piece and so the original is packaged in my garage. Give me a reasonable offer, and its yours + shipping.

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
ScDFACHE said:
I have a black 2003 hood. Brand new. 6 coats of Zaino and three coats of Adams. I replaced the hood with a MCM carbon fibder piece and so the original is packaged in my garage. Give me a reasonable offer, and its yours + shipping.

If she doesn't take it, I may.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
ScDFACHE said:

I don't think a 2003 hood will fit on a 2005 MY. :NoNo:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Welcome Aboard the Good Ship Z06 :z: :z:

Go to an upscale paint and body shop and get there advise.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
PerforminNorman said:

When I get a deep chip, I apply two coats of touch up paint. The reason I do two is because when the first one dries, it usually leaves a recessed area. You want the paint to be built up over the existing surface. Then I wet sand and polish out the paint. Voila, it's like it never existed.

If you don't feel comfortable doing this, you might take it to a detail or paint shop. They can surely get you fixed up.

Think the same as Norman. Metallic colors are a little tougher to fix then solid colors, but still possilble.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
PerforminNorman said:

I agree 100% with Norman.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Give Langka a try, it works.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Guys For Your Help

Does anyone want to volunteer to come to virginia and touch my car up for me.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
sherry said:
wear it like a badge of honor that you actually used your car and didn't just pamper it in a climate controlled garage telling yourself it was a good investment.

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
phantasms said:
wear it like a badge of honor that you actually used your car and didn't just pamper it in a climate controlled garage telling yourself it was a good investment.
Hey, what's wrong with a climate controlled garage? :rofl: :cheers:

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
PerforminNorman said:
Hey, what's wrong with a climate controlled garage? :rofl: :cheers:
nothing if you drive your cars...which i know you do. :jammin:

·
Registered
736 Posts
sherry said:
Does anyone want to volunteer to come to virginia and touch my car up for me.
If you were in florida and it was winter I would be there, but, Cleveland Virginia sounds as bad as the Phila suburb I am in now. :puke: Well, maybe a little better. Seriously, try the lanka. The good thing is if you mess up just keep trying until it looks great.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts