Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Battery went low (dead) ,Now I charged it up and everything works accept the car acts like the clutch is not pushed in when cranking. Could this be factory alarm kicking in .I will let it set for an hour and check back.BTW DOORLOCKS AND EVERYTHING WORKS ACCEPT STARTER.

Thanks
Andy

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How Frank -

Not sure how I dont see anything accept alarm light lit up when i get in the car!Goes off when i trn the key on.

HMMM?????????

ANDY

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Still might be the batt. Just might not have the juice to trip the starter relay.

You can get a voltmeter, and have a friend attempt to crank the car while watching the voltage. If it goes below 10v, batt is screwed.

JC

·
Registered
240 Posts
Mine did the same thing before I swapped to Red Top Optima. My inside lights would work but the starter was absolutely dead. No sound no nothing and I was throwing codes in the PCM. changed the battery and everythng is great! Started right up, no codes, and the DIC showed 14.2 on the voltmeter.

My battery started runnning down and I had to jump it several times, before it went completely. Car is 1 year old!!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK HERE IS WHAT HAPPENED!

There is an optional accessory plug under the passenger side footwell area(top left corner).This was installed so that when you decided to add aftermarket electrical stuff(NEW STEREO,VALENTINE ONE , PASSPORT 8500 HARDWIRE ETC.

3-Wires

ORANGE - Should be Constant power
YELLOW - Should be 12 v accessory.
BLACK - Should be ground.

I just finished up a 2 month development project on this car.
I added ALPINE IVA 800 / ECLIPSE INDASH DVD / Our new 2-8"Bandpass Subwoofer box that goes with the partition we make .All Daimond audio speakers. NOTHING OUT OF THE ORDINARY YET.

As always - I use these three wires for the audio system,Come to find out - Things have changed a bit on this car.
The black wire had no ground ,Yellow wire was correct with accessory power ,Orange wire -WHO THE [email protected]# KNOWS WHAT THIS GUY DOES NOW.........We used it to power the clock,memory,constant power for dvd and Alpine reciever(5 amp draw max).

For some reason when this wire was used for constant power it caused the car not to start.BTW - THIS WIRE TESTED NO LONGER TO BE 12 VOLT CONSTANT.

BE CAUTIOUS OUT THERE - I will check closer next time !

Hope this helps others whom are adding accessories.

The best place for constant power inside the car without cutting wires looks like at the power dist. stud above the fuse block in the foot well from now on......................

See yall ,thanks for the replys.

Andy:cheers:

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Andy,

No pun intended but its what makes those svc manuals worth there weight in gold............

Glad your back in business............

·
Registered
514 Posts
Glad you're back up

Thanks for the words of caution.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
WHAT ARE THE CHANCES OF THIS!!!!!!

New Story to tell:

Went to work early this morning ,I got a phone call before we opened(8:30ish---we open at 9.)I decided to pick up.Low and behold it was a customer of mine from about a yr ago(Bill with a 00 frc).He said he just got his car out of the shop getting white faced gauges installed.He proceeds to tell me that his radio no longer powers up and his cd changer does not eject(KENWOOD AM FM CD INDASH AND CD CHANGER IN REAR).All this happened when he had gauges installed .HMMMMM.He decided to drop his car off at the shop for diag.Car arrives at 11:30 and he leaves.
Im curious to see if the install I did a yr ago matched what I just finished yesterday.GUESS WHAT.It did,to the T.And sure as my name is Andy the orange wire(from the connector mentioned earlier) was connected as the radios constant 12 volt supply wire
as I always do.So I pulled out my meter and found no voltage at this wire ,Started looking for blown fuses and came across a 20 amp fuse in the fuse block that was for the cig lighter.Still wondering why it blew.I pulled the center console from the car and found the plug unpluged from the back of the lighter laying and hanging out.Plugged it back in and of course it worked fine.
BTW -After replacing the fuse the radio started working along with the cd changer.

Here is what happened - A guy installed gauges ,and in order to do this you must remove console and radio a/c bezel,unplugs cig lighter and there is a metal tab there that this cig lighter connector center conductor touches and blows fuse.Un known this happens he finishes car.Radio no longer works ,woooppps.

This was just alittle insight on a weird weekend........I take this as
THINGS HAPPEN IN PAIRS ALL OVER THE WORLD ,AND THESE JUST HAPPEN TO CROSS PATHS IN THE SAME STATE AND CITY.

How weird is that!

So I got home tonight and went out to the Zo6 in my garage and sure enough the cig lighter fuse was blown on this car .I replaced it and it blew instantly.AGAIN WTF IS GOING ON HERE NOW.

I flipped the lid on the ashtray and cig lighter cover and found a dime down in the cig lighter shorting things out.

MY QUESTION TO YOU GUYS - WHY DID THIS CAR NOT START AND THE OTHER STARTED FINE.Im not looking for an explaination from
anyone , Just something to think about .

Thanks For listening to me ramble!

Andy :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
www.thecarstereostore.com

1 - 15 of 15 Posts