Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HELP! Can't get over 4500 RPM's.

My friend just put a new shifter in his 02' Z. Now he can't get his RPM's to go over 4500. Once you hit 4500 the motor bogs and the RPM's actually start to decline. It happens in every gear. He checked the fuel pressure and it was fine. What else could it be? Did the guy that put the shifter in do something?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Pretty unlikely that they're related. I'd start looking for loose wires under the hood, i.e. plug wires, etc. Any codes? Clogged fuel filter maybe?

·
Registered
259 Posts
HI
Fuel starvation would be my guess.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No codes, fuel is fine, and the pedal is hitting the floor. He even tried it in all three different traction control modes. I will tell him to check all of the wires.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
can he shift into all gears fine?

also make sure he didnt drop anything in there while he was changing the shifter?

and when he hits 4500? does the engine cut of like he has redlined it ? or do the rpms start to come down like he has let go of the gas?

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
MrKool said:
can he shift into all gears fine?

also make sure he didnt drop anything in there while he was changing the shifter?

and when he hits 4500? does the engine cut of like he has redlined it ? or do the rpms start to come down like he has let go of the gas?
If THIS is happening, it may be a bad plug or wire. My car was doing the same thing under high throttle. Easy pedal was ok, but under high throttle it was bogging down around same rpms. Mine was acracked spark plug. Doe sit seem to be like it is hitting redline? Rev limiter? Hmmm....Same as I had.....It was bad spark plug. Let us know what you find. maybe your car is set up to redline at 4500? Hahahahahah

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That may be the problem. If he eases into the gas, he can get it over 4500. If he gets on it hard, it drops off. Not like it is hitting the rev limiter. We may just have to change the plugs and check the wires.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Check the plug wires first for secure connections and then the plugs.

After I installed my headers I was test driving the car and experienced the same problem. About 4000-4500 rpm the car would bog and occasionally backfire. (The backfire was probably because I was trying to have too much fun without allowing the PCM to relearn enough about A/F).
Anyway I returned home and checked my plug wires and sure as sh*t the back plug wire on the driver's side had vibrated loose because I hadn't ensured a secure connection.

Hopefully thats your issue.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
PROBLEM SOLVED. It was lack of air. The accordion tube that is between the throtle body and air bridge was collapsing during acceleration. Must have been bad or was getting very hot and mushy. :thumb:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts