Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This season, my 2006 Z06 has had trouble starting when it is up to temperature (and it gets worse when it is hot outside).
When the car is cold, it starts up no problem, but when I'm doing multiple starts/stops (errands, etc), it can actually get to the point where it won't start.
Has anyone come across this?_ If so, please share how you solved it.
One thing I have heard is that it could be the starter motor, somehow getting worn or increasing friction when it is warm.

It's not the battery, not the alternator._
I have had both tested, and they are in perfect shape.__
When I thought it might have been one of those issues, I was putting a trickle charger on between using it. However, it wasn't the extra charge it needed, it just needed to cool down.
When I had the battery and alternator tested after the car wouldn't start, I left it for an hour, and it started (with a little hesitation since it was still a bit warm).

​​​​​​​Any thoughts/tips would be appreciated.

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,820 Posts
You need to expand on not starting as answers will be different

Is engine cranking over ?, if not then could be starter solenoid

If cranking then it can be anything as the MAF is dirty or bad, or the wiring pins have bad crimps to the wires of MAF
leaking gasket for MAF, unmetered airflow, loose or cracks of airbridge and it's couplers from aircleaner to throttlebody
Weak O2 sensors to dirty sparkplugs to lower fuel pressure once warmed up
Hotter engine bay is, leaner fuel trims will be

Check for any error codes, any auto parts store should have a code reader to borrow or best is a OBD-II scanner to see if running
way too lean, and conditions of all above

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the insight/feedback.

The engine cranks over, and when it cranks fast enough it starts.
As the engine gets warmer/hotter, the cranking slows down.

I have read on another forum that this could be caused by a heat soaked starter / solenoid.
It sounds like the solution is either to wrap it (block from heat) and/or fix/replace the starter / solenoid.

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,820 Posts
If having long tube headers good chance the right one is too close to starter adding more heat to it and
requires using a thermal wrap to protect starter

In any case pull starter and have a auto parts store to test, repair if need be or replace.
Most likely the starter solenoid which they should have a rebuild kit

Good chance the right exhaust manifold moved out of way to have room to take starter off and back on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts