Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suspect my 2002 ZO6 is running rich at 6000 feet altitude (Colorado Springs). On my 98 C5 I could adjust the fuel pressure to reduce the fuel to air ratio. I understand the 2002 will recalibrate to a 14.6 F/A ratio but this is probably a "volume" ratio. The problem at high altitude is although the F/A ratio may be optimized, the oxygen available is 20% less than sea level. I added a HallTech T-1 and noticed a "big" difference...but still suspect I am not seeing the performance the sea level guys are. Is there any way to manually adjust the F/A for altitude?

·
Premium Member
2001 Z06
3,461 Posts
Hey. I'm in Littleton and I am dying to get my car to sea level to see & feel the performance differences.

Since I've not had my car anywhere but here in Denver, I have nothing to compare against.:-?

I added a Blackwing about 45 days ago and also noticed an appreciable difference, but again, comparing to WHAT? :-?

Let me know if you find out anything further on an altitude adjustment. Thanks ;)

·
Registered
266 Posts
I live in Sacramento, CA. We make occasional "Runs" through the Sierra Nevada range. My 01 looses considerable power at 6K ft. For passing I need to drop an additional gear. Mixture wise, car feels good. (We have bad air to go with our bad CrapGas.) If you haven't driven the car at sea level yet, you are in for a big surprise.

The best,

2k :cool:

·
Premium Member
2001 Z06
3,461 Posts
Cobra: Thanks for the post. I'll probably wait til spring, then head toward the desert. (Phoenix)

I need to find a shop that has a dyno. Anyone have suggestions?

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I've driven my car as low as 1,000 ft above sea level, and as high as 12,000 ft, so far. Believe me, there is a _huge_ SOTP difference between 1 and 6 Kft. It's like a different car when you drive at lower elevations.

Short of power adding mods, I don't think any tweaking around with F/A ratios is going to get you the same power as the sea level guys get. There just isn't enough oxygen available.

Wastegated turbos start to seem like a swell idea!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bad air

Thanks for everyone's posts...I would love to drive my car at sea level. Maybe a trip to Phoenix this winter. There are no chassis dyno's that I can find in Colorado. Maybe a great business opportunity.

Therenf

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes! Major difference! I have gone on drives with "2K" You guys in Denver have no idea what that car will do! I have even noticed a difference from Sacramento area (25 to 250' elevation) to 4000 feet. You guys will want to move after that so be prepared!
Bob

·
Premium Member
2001 Z06
3,461 Posts
Ranger: You are the man! I will look up one of these shops and get my car on their dyno. Between snow storms.......... :cheers:

We're supposed to get some snow Sunday & Monday. Which makes driving the Vette a serious challenge. :mad:

But, hell it's ski season and I'm ready for a little winter. :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Therenf:

Welcome to the forum!!!

I see your from Colorado Springs....I sold my '01 red Z06 to Rollie Purifoy in Ft. Lupton, and I used to live in Northglenn, Colorado!

Zippy :z: :z:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you guys are killing me!

I've got to get to sea level...but then what will I do after that? Probably have to move. I can just see telling my wife we are moving to a place where our car will perform better. Thanks for all the posts...especially the list of dyno's in Colorado.

Therenf

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Heh. Moving to sea level might be the most cost effective mod you could make! Say you live at 8000 ft, and move to sea level. You're gonna pick up in the ballpark of 100 HP for the cost of moving across the country. Might be worth it :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm out of here

If I can pick up 100 hp by moving to sea level, I'm gone. Funny thing is...Colorado Springs always rates as one of the best 10 places in the country to live. They must not have surveyed HP nuts. Hey you Denver guys, are you with me? Lets move to the coast, where we should be. :)

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Probably not quite 100hp from the Springs. What's the elev there? 6K or 7k or so?

The approximation I've always heard is 3% per thousand feet. So if you're in the 6 to 7K above sea level ballpark, you'll lose roughly 20%, which on a 400 HP car is around 80 HP. 8 Kft would put you around 100 HP loss, more or less.

If you drive up to the top of Mt Evans at 14200 ft, you'll lose around 42%, or a whopping 170 HP. The 3%/1000 rule breaks when you go too high, because it isn't a linear relationship, but I think it works reasonably for most altitudes you're likely to drive at.

·
Premium Member
2001 Z06
3,461 Posts
Sort of torn this time of year? :-? Great Skiing up here!!! :D :D JTBEAR is gonna have to rest quietly in the garage for a couple of months............ :cool:

Probably a good time for a few mods and tweaks!! :) :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
I live in South Denver. I've not had the vette below 5k. It's still quick, but I'd imagine we're about 20% short at this altitude.

There is a dyno in town. I forget the name, but if you want the name, I've got it email me and I'll look it up.

I'd think the computer would adust to the fuel ratio just fine under closed loop, at WOT, it will be a bit rich however. One of the tricks might be to simply lower fuel pressure, but I don't know how this could be done. Even if it was possible, when you drive lower you would be in trouble.

One thing that can be done, is to run with more timing, cause the flash wave in the cylinder isn't moving as fast because of the lack of air. But I don't know how to advance the timing either, or if it can even be done.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
novetteyet said:
Heh. Moving to sea level might be the most cost effective mod you could make! Say you live at 8000 ft, and move to sea level. You're gonna pick up in the ballpark of 100 HP for the cost of moving across the country. Might be worth it :)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

IT IS!!!

I moved to Hawaii from Denver last December. When I picked the car up at the docks it was like it had a 100 extra hp!! The difference is very obvious!!! :D

Living at that altitude warrants either a Turbo or Supercharger. Big benifit at high altitude!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts