Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just completed my first DE, what a blast. All signed up for more in June and July.

I was at Watkins Glen. Temp in the very low 60's with a good wind so the track never got warm. The oil, on the other hand, got good and toasty at 270+. My water temps never made it past 210. Oil is Redline 10w30, water is 25% antifreeze, 2 bottles Water Wetter and distilled water.

I'm still learning and not likely driving real hard compared to you experienced guys, but I think in July I will be seeing oil temps approaching 300 deg.

What is the most cost effective way to bring the oil temps back in line? I don't care about meeting T1 or any sanctioning bodies requirements, so any mechanically sound solution is on the table. Are the integrated radiator/oil coolers viable?

I also noticed GM put a tiny oil cooler behind the AC and radiator on the passenger side (trans oil, I think) - can a shroud and fan be added here?

·
Registered
236 Posts
There are several nice integrated Oil/Radiator coolers available, but they aren't cheap. DRM makes a nice oversized Aluminium radiator with an integrated Oil cooler that I like personally.

There are also many much cheaper seperate oil coolers available. I think GM may even sell a generic one that will work.

BTW: That little cooler you mentioned behind the AC on the radiator is actually a brake fluid cooler, not an oil cooler.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Nocturne said:
There are several nice integrated Oil/Radiator coolers available, but they aren't cheap. DRM makes a nice oversized Aluminium radiator with an integrated Oil cooler that I like personally.

There are also many much cheaper seperate oil coolers available. I think GM may even sell a generic one that will work.

BTW: That little cooler you mentioned behind the AC on the radiator is actually a brake fluid cooler, not an oil cooler.

Good Luck!
When you get a good double capacity alum rad/oil cooler combo and get a 180 thermostat, you can run all day and you'll see about 190-200 water and about 220-230 oil on your worst day. It'll set you back about $1500-2000 installed, but it does work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think Summit or Jeg's might sell just an oil cooler that you can mount in front of the radiator. Only drawback is that you might have to buy an oil filter relocation kit, as the oil that is send to the cooler normally comes from where the filter normally goes.

·
Registered
350 Posts
That's what we do in T1... The Phoenix guys have a really nice set up and you don't have to relocate the filter.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wtknght1,

Which "That's what we do in T1... The Phoenix guys have a really nice set up and you don't have to relocate the filter." were you referring to? The combo radiator/cooler?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Oil coolers are fine--and cheaper--but your oil will not heat up in winter. If you drive the car on the street, the cooler/radiator combo lets the water heat the oil in the winter so you do not run too cold. T-1 guys are limited by rule to oil coolers; if not, I bet they'd all run radiator/cooler combos--anyone care to chime in?

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
SCCA T1 Rules are basically a limiting factor for a Showroom Stock class. Although there is good racing by good drivers in this class the equipment allowed is not the be all and end all. You can do much better if you are not bound by the T1 rules. Obviously WC, ALMS cars do.

If you are running a dual use car ie street and track the integrated radiator/cooler is the way to go. LG Motorsports & Doug Rippie have nice units. Ron Davis makes the ones for DR.

The integrated units will allow the oil to come up to nominal temp in cold weather where as a stand alone air to oil unit will not....so these are mainly reserved for dedicated race cars. If you need a larger radiator too; then an integrated unit "kills two birds" so to speak.

There are also water to oil stand alone coolers available. These are installed in the top radiator hose. A larger 4 core racing radiator is also needed for these as well.

Going to an all Aluminum racing radiator will eliminate the plastic bonded side tank of the OEM radiator as well.

Mallett is another excellent source.

·
Registered
350 Posts
kmagvette said:
wtknght1,

Which "That's what we do in T1... The Phoenix guys have a really nice set up and you don't have to relocate the filter." were you referring to? The combo radiator/cooler?
We (T1) have to run an external cooler...not the combo. Although, I'd be willing to bet that changes soon too since it's so convenient. We're allowed the bigger radiator, which works awesome by the way, and the Phoenix guys run an Earl's cooler from a 'sandwich' plate from the oil filter spot. It's got the -AN fittings and SS lines and really is sharp...and works!

I think the external cooler works just a little better than the integrated radiator/cooler, but not enough to justify the extra cost and pain to install both. I'd run the integrated one if I had a choice. T1 doesn't currently allow it though.

·
Registered
154 Posts
kmagvette,

You are in the same situation as me - just a few weeks later!

I did a track event when the air temp was in the high 60's and my oil temp got up to about 300. When I go to the track I pretty much go out like I'm chasin' snakes, so I knew this was going to be an issue! :crazy:

I decided that since I drive my car in the winter, an external oil cooler wouldn't work the best, since (like some guys said in this thread) the oil would run too cool at times. I ordered the aluminum radiator with integral oil cooler from DRM. It's sitting in my garage and I'll hopefully have it installed in the next week.

If you can afford it, get the DRM or LG radiator and don't look back.

Best of luck to you! :thumb:

(by the way, I now have a tranny cooler, I will have an oil cooler, and I wish I had an oil dry sump --> all things the base C6 has. Hmmmmm....does that tell you something :lol: )

·
Registered
372 Posts
270+ with a combo cooler?. Is that a tight 2,3,4th track?. When you say push it, does that means back to back sessions of just using all of each gear all the time?.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Z06Machine said:
270+ with a combo cooler?. Is that a tight 2,3,4th track?. When you say push it, does that means back to back sessions of just using all of each gear all the time?.
I've seen similar temps at Sebring, Moroso, and Homestead. Moroso and Homestead are pretty tight, Sebring is a mix of tight areas with a few long straights. By pushing it, I mean almost redline in 2,3,4th at every shift. 30-40 minute sessions.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
One thing to keep in mind when discussing oil temps with coolers is that the temp sensor is on the port that the adapter block attaches. This block has the hoses running to/from the cooler. I've seen them ported both ways, either porting the temp probe "to" cooler (hot) or "from" cooler (cold). I've actually had one of each so have some experience with the delta T across an external cooler. It is about 20 degrees on a hot day driving very hard with an average speed on a track of about 90 mph.

My current external cooler senses temp on cooler return and I have been seeing about 250 running AMSOIL Series 2000 oil. That equates about to 270 "hot" on the outlet port which matches the others statements above if they are sensing temp on cooler supply vice return. If theirs is ported like mine, then I'm seeing 20 degrees cooler. Really hard to tell from just reading a post which one is which.

Also, how hard you drive and what gear vs speed is very influential on oil temp. Low gear, high rpm, low speed is worst, e.g. a 2nd-3rd gear track. Most tracks I run on are 3rd-4th tracks. Also if one guy uses 3rd in a corner and another uses 4th, that will make a fairly notible difference in oil temp on a long session. :cheers:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts