Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a blast even though it rained and hailed on us on and off all day. I cannot wait to go back. I need one more hour with an on board instructor before they will let me on the track by myself. Then I can go for the SCCA license course that they offer. Here are some pic from the facility's photographer.

http://studio819.smugmug.com/gallery/460050

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
FWIW, I have shared my experience with my local LSX brethern (who I drag race and go to shows with) and have sparked a keen interest in this. There were three Z06's there and a couple of Mustang Corbras and 911's. Next time there will be some Z28's and WS6's to go along with the Z's. Included in this group will be an all out badass SS that can run 200mph+ and a couple of WS6's that will help me hold the GM banner high.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Glad you had a great time even though the weather didn't cooperate. I have driving school on wish list. :cheers:

·
Registered
475 Posts
Electron Blue said:
I had a blast even though it rained and hailed on us on and off all day. I cannot wait to go back. I need one more hour with an on board instructor before they will let me on the track by myself. Then I can go for the SCCA license course that they offer. Here are some pic from the facility's photographer.

http://studio819.smugmug.com/gallery/460050
if you look at image 9997, it is the last one on the second page, the instructor was looking to the right pointing to something, like he was watching the scenery go by....your head and looks like your eyes were straight...what the heck was he looking at????

By the way, I had gone to a 3 day school at Bragg SMith, now known as Spring Mountain....what a BLAST!! I don't think it leads to an SCCa license, but still a blast!!! One of the things that they taught you was your eyes follow your head and where the car should go your head should be looking ahead, hence the comment what was the instructor looking at?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He was pointing to landmarks to help me identify braking zones and turn in points. They taught us to keep our head up and eyes forward. The only time I really would turn my head was in the long sweeping curves to look for the apex and exit. Here he is identifying the begining of the braking zone by pointing to some trees. I had asked the question how does one would know these things when the cones that they had out were gone. He said seat time and being familiar with the track. I was told that the first couple of laps on a new track are taken slow in order to identify these things. Once memorized, let it rip.

·
Registered
497 Posts
im seriously thinking of joining a driving school..how much do they cost? whats the best school out there?

·
Registered
350 Posts
I instruct for both Tracquest and Car Guys, but also the BMW, Porsche, Audi etc schools too - pretty much a track whore. ha ha

Most of the 'professional' schools charge in the range of 400-700 per weekend and the club schools are 200-450 depending on who you go with and what track they're renting.

My best advice is to go with a pro school first, then do the cheaper ones to get lots of seat time. The pro schools I'm talking about are the ones where you bring your own car and not use theirs. As a general rule the pro schools have a more strict standard on their instructors and some even have instructor clinics to ensure they're all on the same sheet of music.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Chris, you nailed it. I paid $450 for the whole day and used my car. I could have rented one of theirs but decided to use my own as they had suggested. I had a total of three different instructors for the day ranging from a current GT Corvette racer to a retired Corvette racer. Don who ownes and races for Team Seattle Porsche team was the head instructor. He really liked my Dale Earnhardt jacket and told the class about his relationship with Dale from '84 up to the '01 24hrs of Daytona. Great way to start the day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts