Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bros,

Be careful out there. A couple of weeks ago a guy that I work with bought a Corvette. He decided to "Blow the cobbs out of it!!"

Anyway, he was clocked at 127 MPH. Was promptly handcuffed and was given a ticket for Reckless Endangerment and then hauled off to jail!!

I would love to open up my Z to see what she can REALLY do, but stories like this scare the hell out of me.

I bet his insurance agent is going to love accepting his new premiums. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

·
Registered
165 Posts
Frank........absolutely agree. Those kind of speeds are best left for the track and then it is still risky due to tire blowouts, etc.

I have taken a few of my past cars out on the Gateway International oval track (as part of a Richard Petty Driving Experience event). THAT is where high speeds should occur. Last year I got my S351 Saleen Speedster up to 152 before re-entering turn one. It was safe but still scared me.

But the rush was kool..............must have been the 18 yr. old acting up inside this 55 yr. old body.

Regards,
Ken- /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Registered
2,388 Posts

On 2001-08-14 22:16, fcalmes spewed forth this drivel:
Anyway, he was clocked at 127 MPH. Was promptly handcuffed and was given a ticket for Reckless Endangerment and then hauled off to jail!!

I bet his insurance agent is going to love accepting his new premiums. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Not to mention that your Z is picked up by a wrecker or flatbed and sent to impound /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Very true! I was really tempted last weekend to see if I could top my own land speed record (160 mph in my '99 FRC) in the Z, but better sense prevailed! I'll just have to be content with around-town bursts of acceleration and lateral gs. High speed runs belong only on the track!

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Frank,

With my luck, they would put me in a cell with "Bubba"!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

That thought will keep me out of trouble!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

01ZEE06
Barry

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
As I posted a couple times before there IS a solution that is perfectly legal. You can drive you Z as fast as it will go and SUSTAIN very high speed on a state highway.

Just sign up for an open road race and plan a week or two vacation trip to Nevada. Next month there are three such events on consecutive weekends. And these events are tailor made for Corvette owners, generally the most popular cars at these events.

The first is an event called the Pony Express II, over a highway 85 miles in length, scheduled for September 7-9th. This event is organized by the Classic Auto Racing Society founded by Rodger Ward, two time Indy 500 winner from the late 50s and early 60s. For detailed info, go to C.A.R.S. website, www.openroadracing.com

Driving your own car at high speed is a lot SAFER at an open road race venue, than it could ever hope to be almost anywhere else. And it is LEGAL. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
You have got to pick your places. Up where I live we have plenty of places that never see the cops unless dad shoots mom and calls the cop to report it. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Registered
837 Posts
I'm lucky to have this old airfield near me that's good for 150 without much heavy breathing. Good place to air mine out safely whenever she needs it. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
Frank, you know me, never over 177 mph on an open highway. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif I usually can hold it down to 160!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

On 2001-08-15 17:07, Rippied.Z06 spewed forth this drivel:
Frank, you know me, never over 177 mph on an open highway.
I'm not saying I wouldn't like to give it a shot...hell yes I would!! I just have this deep fear of getting busted and then spending the night in jail with Bubba!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

·
Registered
51 Posts
I certainly do not condone speeding on public roads, but there are roads where it could be considered safe /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif

For instance, when I lived in Miami US 27 was always a favorite place to stretch one's legs. Miles of straight roads, no side streets, the biggest danger was hitting a bird on the road (probably eating the previous road kill) or a gator crossing the road /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

·
Registered
619 Posts
US 27, or Okeechobee Road, is now full of FHP officers. A lot of guys on motorcycles like to take this road in order to speed, excessively.

If only they would open up the Opa-Locka Airport, it was abandoned years ago and was once being considered as a drag race track along with a high speed track. But, this idea was shot down and most people now resort to street racing because Moroso Motorsports Park is too far.

Sooner or later, the state will realize the mistake that they made and they might consider opening the track in Opa-Locka.

·
Registered
528 Posts
The guy should of kept on going for about 3 minutes, then exit. Find a place to hide for about an hour or take an alternate route. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif

That was what a friend of mine did.....not me though...... /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Up until a couple of years ago, Montana was the place. Speed limits now. It was the American Autobaun. I was going for a new personal best in my top down roadster until a big gust of wind sucked my hat, cleaning rags, and a couple of t-shirts out of the car in about 1 second. It felt like I had broken the sound barrier. Had to stop and have another beer to replace the one I pissed into the seat. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Frank and other members. First and foremost, the street is NO place for racing or high speed runs! We are probably all guilty of getting away with this at some point in our lives but the truth is that the lives you save may be your own AND my wife and kids!!!!! Take the car to the track or raceway and let her rip, just please DONT do it on public roads as you are not alone on them!!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif Bill

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hey folks, can we lighten up on the Bubba talk? I live in Alabama and as you can guess, a lot of my friends are named Bubba. In fact, my best friend is named Bubba..... nice looking woman too. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

·
Registered
2,343 Posts

On 2001-08-15 21:05, 70boss302 spewed forth this drivel:
Frank and other members. First and foremost, the street is NO place for racing or high speed runs! We are probably all guilty of getting away with this at some point in our lives but the truth is that the lives you save may be your own AND my wife and kids!!!!! Take the car to the track or raceway and let her rip, just please DONT do it on public roads as you are not alone on them!!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif Bill

Yes, mom /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

1 - 20 of 25 Posts