Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm buying a set of used LG LT's for my '02 Z06 (some of the original handbuilt units I am told) and I was thinking of having Jet Hot coat them in their OEM grey or black coating (I don't like the bling factor and want them to "blend in" with the engine compartment.) (Unless of course I could get them coated to match the red FRC's... :sneaky: )

So, is it a bad idea to coat stainless steel? This would be coated inside and out. Mostly to help keep heat inside the tubing and to keep them looking "good."

I also have a set of 1 3/4" into 1 7/8" Kooks with 3.5" collectors for my '96 Camaro and was planning on the same thing.

So, anything bad with coating stainless steel?

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Most Folks think that it's not necessary on Stainless because of the way is dissipates heat over mild steel headers. If you do decide to coat them look into Swain Tech coating over Jet Hot, IMO it's much better. :z:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hey Z0 SIC,

I have a set of LG Longtubes waiting to go into my 02Z and I opted for the Jet Hot inside and out. Shure looks pretty, but was chosen to keep the heat in the pipe and light off the Random Tec cats as quick as possible.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Just had a set of KOOKs coated by Calico Coatings. Had them coated inside and out. The interior is coated with Ultra High Temp black and the outside is coated with there Cool Chrome. They did an excellence job. I had the 3" pipes coated also along with the x-pipe. I had to deal with the varying opinions on coating a set of stainless headers. I went with coated.

You could have your's coated inside and out with the high temp black to reduce the bling.

D.J.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
OneQuickCoupe said:
Just had a set of KOOKs coated by Calico Coatings. Had them coated inside and out. The interior is coated with Ultra High Temp black and the outside is coated with there Cool Chrome. They did an excellence job. I had the 3" pipes coated also along with the x-pipe. I had to deal with the varying opinions on coating a set of stainless headers. I went with coated.

You could have your's coated inside and out with the high temp black to reduce the bling.

D.J.
:yeadog: :thumb:

I just had a set of lemons headers for my Nova done by Calico Coatings. High Temp Black inside and Kool Chrome outside. They look great and are priced better then jet-hot. Great guys and turn around is really quick.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
benenati379 said:
:yeadog: :thumb:

I just had a set of lemons headers for my Nova done by Calico Coatings. High Temp Black inside and Kool Chrome outside. They look great and are priced better then jet-hot. Great guys and turn around is really quick.
Thanks for the endorsement. Deuces wild. I have a 64 in the works right now ready to rock and roll.

Calico does very good work at a great price .

D.J.

Coat Stainless

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found two local places that did coating.

One said they were an authorized Jet Hot dealer... got around to pricing, $500 out the door (for the headers, cats, small extensions, x-pipe, etc) and a TWO WEEK turnaround time. I guess they ship them off to Jet Hot... And since the headers are "used" they only get a one year gaurentee...

So the other place... $440 for the same stuff, but not Jet Hot, in a black coating.

Hopefully it is worth it (mainly looks) and keeping as much heat out of the interior as possible.

Now to just install them without scraping the hell out of them.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Call up swain, he charges $225-275 for a pair of V8 headers. And no comparision between jet hot and swain's coatings.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
mgarfias said:
Call up swain, he charges $225-275 for a pair of V8 headers. And no comparision between jet hot and swain's coatings.
I hear the Swain coating is very thick and not shinny. At least that's what one of my friends says. However it's supposed to be a very good heat barrier.

D.J.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
OneQuickCoupe said:
I hear the Swain coating is very thick and not shinny. At least that's what one of my friends says. However it's supposed to be a very good heat barrier.

D.J.

I have the Swain coatings on my headers and if you are looking for ulitmate functionality (i.e. keeping the heat inside the pipes) Swaintech offers one of the best if not the best thermal barriers. They also do a lot of internal engine coatings for a variety of customers including NASCAR.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
OneQuickCoupe said:

D.J.
That's correct. It's not pretty, but it works better than anything else. :cheers:

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've read/heard that Jet Hot coating is about .002" thick, and the Swain is .015" thick.

The stuff I am getting is between the two. Jet Hot does come out shiny, but I've never seen them stay shiney, as some parts will dull.

Swain will do V8 long tubes for $225-$275 plus add 30% for stainless steel, plus shipping, etc. So hopefully this local place turns out good.

And I choose a black (dull/flat black) to keep the underhood area less bling/bling...

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
ZO SIC said:
I've read/heard that Jet Hot coating is about .002" thick, and the Swain is .015" thick.

The stuff I am getting is between the two. Jet Hot does come out shiny, but I've never seen them stay shiney, as some parts will dull.

Swain will do V8 long tubes for $225-$275 plus add 30% for stainless steel, plus shipping, etc. So hopefully this local place turns out good.

And I choose a black (dull/flat black) to keep the underhood area less bling/bling...
Sounds like that's the way to go for your car. Swain has a very good product. I have Jet Hot on a set of Super Comps for my old Nova and it looks new. It was done years ago. Air Borne sp? is another one to look into if other guys are interested. I went with Calico this time around to see how it holds up. Calico says the coating they apply is around .005" but who really knows.

D.J.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had Paul Berry do a set of Hooker Super Comps for my '96 Camaro back in 2000... Did it in "OEM Grey" and it looked pretty good. Got some brake fluid on it and it turned a bit lighter grey... $220 including shipping back to me from Paul Berry back then.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts