Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to Buttonwwillow Raceway last Saturday. (man, it's lightly snowing in Bakersfield right now!) anyway, drove the ZO6 very hard, about 45-50 degrees OT and dry. Dash display shows trans high temp at least twice during sessions (four half hour each). Any one seen this? I am planning on replacing the trans fluid with Redline syn oil. Any known objections to this? Also cooked my brake fluid, very soft pedal now, changing to Motul 600 (and either Performance Friction or Wilwood pads for track days only). The car definitely did not stop as well as I thought it would or have liked. But over all it performed very well considering it is totally stock with 2K mi. To any one who is familiar with BWR, I turned 2:17"s by a handheld stopwatch on no. 13 (full track to Star Mazda clockwise using the busstop) which was at the top of my group with a modified Camaro and NSX I think. This would have been in the middle of the fastest more experienced group ( a number of trailered cars, highly moded). So, I felt pretty good, but man this 49 yr. old body is SORE! BTW, the fastest car there was a 01 ZO6 on the lowered settings ( nothing removed ) with camber at 2.5neg front and 1.5neg rear, riding on used Goodyear slicks, with a roll bar, Motul 600, Wilwood pads, afaIk nada mas. Turned a 2:019! Very fast for any car, especially a street car. I was impressed. Great fun.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Amerkin -

I have heard several track drivers tell me the same thing about having their warning message come on while they are on track. No one knew how hot their C-4 6-speeds were getting, because there was no monitor. My '92 C-4 held up to 7 years of track driving with no ill effects (Using Mobil 1 Synthetic). For the most part, going to a good sythetic is a good idea, and it may help to some extent. The best solution, however, is a tranmission cooler. It's not cheap, but it solves the problem. I have a transmission cooler, as well as a differential cooler on the '01 Z06 I just bought, and am looking forward to our first track session in April.

There was a good article in the December 2001 issue of Corvette Fever on installing a transmission cooler, with parts available GM Performance Parts Division which can be ordered from your nearest Mr. Goodwrench Dealer.

Good luck.

Steve Nix, President
Performance Drivers' Club, Inc.

amerkin said:
I went to Buttonwwillow Raceway last Saturday. (man, it's lightly snowing in Bakersfield right now!) anyway, drove the ZO6 very hard, about 45-50 degrees OT and dry. Dash display shows trans high temp at least twice during sessions (four half hour each). Any one seen this? I am planning on replacing the trans fluid with Redline syn oil. Any known objections to this? Also cooked my brake fluid, very soft pedal now, changing to Motul 600 (and either Performance Friction or Wilwood pads for track days only). The car definitely did not stop as well as I thought it would or have liked. But over all it performed very well considering it is totally stock with 2K mi. To any one who is familiar with BWR, I turned 2:17"s by a handheld stopwatch on no. 13 (full track to Star Mazda clockwise using the busstop) which was at the top of my group with a modified Camaro and NSX I think. This would have been in the middle of the fastest more experienced group ( a number of trailered cars, highly moded). So, I felt pretty good, but man this 49 yr. old body is SORE! BTW, the fastest car there was a 01 ZO6 on the lowered settings ( nothing removed ) with camber at 2.5neg front and 1.5neg rear, riding on used Goodyear slicks, with a roll bar, Motul 600, Wilwood pads, afaIk nada mas. Turned a 2:019! Very fast for any car, especially a street car. I was impressed. Great fun.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The car is just awesome at the track, my 01 had the same problem with the brakes, cooked real quick. If I had the car set up right it would have dominated. I just got my 02 lowered and camber set out just a tad more, can't wait till spring to check it out.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Transmission high temp is a common problem on the track. Lots of postings on this.
Also lots of postings on running synthetic (I use redline) and whether to add friction modifier or not.
The search function should help you learn a lot on this topic.
Aloha,
Ffen

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Hi there,
Yes, if you are racing, as synthetic Dexron 3 is critical for optimum usage, and protection against oxidation of the fluid.
Yes, it is a common problem, and yes, there is a transmission cooler from GM available.
NO, under no circumstances, should you ever add anything to the transmission, than Dexron 3 automatic transmission fluid. No friction modifier, or anything else. Just Dexron 3.
Besttoyou, c4c5:eek2:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts