Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my new 02 BLK/ModRed from Rick Daniel @ Maxie Price Corvette World on 1/4.

Drove it cross country to SF,CA at arrived on 1/7.

Breakin period under 500miles, went 140mph at 3800 RPM thru Alabama and Louisiana.

On Day 3, while driving on I-8 in AZ above 150mph - 170+mph for about 30 minutes, the onboard computer displayed High Trans. Temp.

We top off at 175mph in 5th gear, however 6th gear limited us to 165mph.

We took the baby down to 100mph and eventually the warning disappeared.

Anyone ever get this message?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Z06175mph,

Several members have reported High transmission temp warning when running at the track at speed. It seems that this is the one area that the Z does fall short. It appears that if you are going to run above 140mph for any length of time the transmission will overheat. As you noted though, once you bring the speed down, the transmission does cool and no more problems.

There have been several post regarding this and the easiest answer has been to change your tranny fluid to redline or torco brand sythetic.

Click here for a previous thread on high tranny temps - or search on transmission cooler

·
Registered
178 Posts
Does anyone know the Redline part # for transmission lub. And part # for rear differental lub. And if Redine is used in rear diferental, does the GM limited slip additive need to be used?:-?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Kein Autobahns...

There was a post somewhere stating that the Z06 tranny cannot handle continous high speed driving - as you stated, in the 30+ minute range... something about lots of gears turning while in 5th and 6th.

The post also guessed that this is why the Z06 is not offered for sale in Germany (maybe not in all of Europe).

You will need a tranny cooler to solve this problem... assuming you will be driving these speed on a regular basis... redline will not solve it. All the Silver State Classic guys run tranny coolers.

There may also be some diff issues with sustained high speed driving, I cant remember.

LS6DAVE: From a number of posts I have read, yes you still need to add the GM limited slip additive (some say half dosage, some say full dosage).

·
Registered
178 Posts
December 2001 of Corvette Fever Mag. has a artical on page 36, on how to install Gm p/n 12480080. Which is its high tech solution for trans. over heating problems. This is also mentioned in the video included with your new Z06. Am I the only one who actually watched it?:-? part is available at any GM dealer 1-800-GM-USE-US.... www.gmgoodwrench.com THIS IS A PART I WOULD LIKE TO SEE ON THE PADDOCK:) :) :) :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Your trans may have gotten hot, but it sounds like a COOL ride home :cool: :D

·
Registered
1,565 Posts

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
John,

I am glad you made it home. Sounds like one heck of a ride.
A replacement temp tag for the one that blew off at 140 is on the way.:lol: :lol:
Enjoy and BE SAFE.:)

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for the tips and links to resolve this problem. Honestly, I don't think I'll visit this issue again, until I hit the tracks, otherwise my normal commute from Pittsburg to Sunnyvale will keep me from a steady pace of 150+mph.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts