1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
FLP Headers are made out of Steel and can be easily welded. A muffler shop should be able to do it right on the car.

You might want elongate to the holes in the bracket to insure there is no strain on the headers. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info.
I decided to call FLP direct and spoke to Phil. They offered to fix the hole and rejet coat the header. He said the header was made from aluminized steel? Anyway this might be a good option.

·
21,386 Posts
Red Kelly said:
Thanks for the info.
I decided to call FLP direct and spoke to Phil. They offered to fix the hole and rejet coat the header. He said the header was made from aluminized steel? Anyway this might be a good option.
Aluminized steel is just coated with aluminum I believe. Anyway, like IT L GO said, just drive it to a muffler shop and they can weld with the header on the car. Sand it and spray some heat resistant aluminum paint on it and it will look as good as new...well almost. :)

·
Premium Member
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jub jub said:
Aluminized steel is just coated with aluminum I believe. Anyway, like IT L GO said, just drive it to a muffler shop and they can weld with the header on the car. Sand it and spray some heat resistant aluminum paint on it and it will look as good as new...well almost. :)
That sounds like a much easier solution :thumb:

·
Registered
201 Posts
That looks very familiar to me. Mine broke in exactly the same spot after being on the car about a year and a half. I had mine welded at a local muffler shop like IT L GO suggested. It's been OK since. Yours was probably already cracked before you messed with it.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Welcome to what was my hell...

The "I" bracket on the early FLP headers don't hold up after some mileage..

I too called FLP and they were nice enough to send out a replacement header...BUT..its primary tube was too short ...( second or some sh!t)

Burned a few wires till I put a stock heat shield on...Now thousands of miles later... no problems...

BTW..any welding shop can fix the header which is what I did the second time around for the passenger side header when its "i" bracket broke off...(first drivers side , then passenger side)

Car got real loud....and even more importantly....

Threw my car into a rich fuel mixture pcm scenero because the o2 sensors out back were reading a lean mixture...(from air entering the hole etc) ran like shit before I fixed header...now fixed..it runs great!

Just so you know...

Most midas shops charge ~20 bucks to fix this........Headers don't have to come off the car...and that would be the suggestion to consider rather than pulling off the header and then re installing...(big labor dollars comparatively speaking)

Just be aware that if one side recently broke...probably another few months it would be a good idea to just keep an eye on the other side..(during oil changes etc...take a look)

FLP later models came out with an L bracket for this bellhousing bracket...to replace the "I" bracket...

Welded up with no bracket at all works fine....in fact the cars seriously running better than ever before...

Next time around its LG's or Kooks for me...

(they weren't really a viable option back when we bought our flps...)

Annoyed after about 20K miles on the headers ...but still happy with the car............34K miles total..

Live and learn...

·
Premium Member
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Z06XR said:
That looks very familiar to me. Mine broke in exactly the same spot after being on the car about a year and a half. I had mine welded at a local muffler shop like IT L GO suggested. It's been OK since. Yours was probably already cracked before you messed with it.
After further inspection your comments are right on. There is a definite pattern of exhaust gases burnt onto the bracket retainer. This must have been leaking for some time to make this kind of mark. The other bracket and weld looks great.

I'm taking the car to a local shop tomorrow to get welded up.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Sort of is a real life example that its better to wait till the bugs get worked out of a design. Happens not only to the car producers, but also in the aftermarket. At least FLP is willing to stand behind their work, even through in this case its easier to fix it yourself. Good Luck

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Hell would freeze over before I would ever ever....

Mild steel headers SUCK!

·
Registered
999 Posts
Z06XR said:

:yeadog:

Mine broke in the same spot when I had my head/cam motor. Took it in and had it welded over with some flat stock and re-attached the support brackets to the flat stock. I think the mild steel they use is not strong enough and over time the torque of the engine under load wears out the area around the primary tubes where the support brackest are welded.

JWz06.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Just discovered both my bracket welds are cracked on my FLP's. Called FLP and they pretty much said I'm sh&t out of luck, Great Customer Service !!! :mah:

No more FLP products for me.

·
Premium Member
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry to hear about your experince. I can't imagine a vendor telling a customer they are SOL. FLP offered to repair mine no questions asked but I had to remove the headre and ship it to them for welding and recoating. For $40.00 I ended up going to a local exhaust shop and they welded the bracket back together and back onto the header. They painted the weld with silver BBQ paint which they say works the best. No problems since,

·
Registered
722 Posts
just for reference, this is not an isolated problem for FLP. My stainless works headers cracked as well. It was very disappointing for the amount of money these headers cost. I had them welded while on the car. It's all sealed up now, but it looks like the daughter of frankestein with scars around the collector. :mad:

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
BLU-BY-U said:
just for reference, this is not an isolated problem for FLP. My stainless works headers cracked as well. It was very disappointing for the amount of money these headers cost. I had them welded while on the car. It's all sealed up now, but it looks like the daughter of frankestein with scars around the collector. :mad:
Just don't lay any mirrors on the ground to show the undercarriage at a Car Show! :p

Bob :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts