Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my car back together this afternoon after getting my 555RII's installed, along with an oil change and a few other items. I had been running a set of Pilot Sports, and the rears were a little worse for the wear. With the PS1's, car would spin through 1st, 2nd, and part of 3rd if you shift hard enough. But today, with the 555RII's, it dead hooks even in 1st!!! I can't wait to get to the strip with my new found traction and try to break my clutch/output shaft/diff!! :coo:

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
The 555RII's are made by Nitto,,,,they are DOT legal road racing tires. Minimal tread depth and very soft rubber compound.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I was in love with my R2's right up until I got my Nitto DR's. They stick like crazy and absolutely no noticable difference in handling in street driving. Had them way over 100mph with no drift whatsoever.

·
Registered
369 Posts
BBaxR6 said:
Just got my car back together this afternoon after getting my 555RII's installed, along with an oil change and a few other items. I had been running a set of Pilot Sports, and the rears were a little worse for the wear. With the PS1's, car would spin through 1st, 2nd, and part of 3rd if you shift hard enough. But today, with the 555RII's, it dead hooks even in 1st!!! I can't wait to get to the strip with my new found traction and try to break my clutch/output shaft/diff!! :coo:
:-? OOF! I just bought the PSIIs and really like them. "Worse for wear"? What should I expect from these tires? How much were the 555RIIs? Are they really that much better than the PSIIs?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Straatien said:
:-? OOF! I just bought the PSIIs and really like them. "Worse for wear"? What should I expect from these tires? How much were the 555RIIs? Are they really that much better than the PSIIs?
'

Well, AFAIK, the PS2's are a pretty good improvement over the PS1's. I had PS1's. Had about 17,000 miles on them, and 2500 of those were supercharged. That's when the rears decided to pack it in. I could have just bought a new set of rears and probably really enjoyed them, but there's no way a set of PS1 or 2's could keep my car hooked in 1st gear. BUT, the pilot sports will probably last 2-3x longer than the nittos. Don't fret! I'm sure the pilots will do great!

·
Registered
399 Posts
That is great to hear, I ordered a set of 555RII's last week and I can't wait until they get here. My stock F1's are shot and I am looking forward to traction! :cheers:

·
Registered
162 Posts
IMHO, the 555RIIs are NOT all that @ the track. I couldn't hook up enough to get any really good launches.
Don't get me wrong, from a roll even in first, I am impressed with them because they do hook, but @ the strip I was very disapointed. I bought the 555R drag radials and dtdirect sent me the RIIs :mah: .

I didn't notice until I was @ the track and getting really pissed off.

If they don't last any longer than the 555Rs I'm really gonna be mad :bmad:

Then again, it could just be my crappy launch skills :rofl:

danny

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hey ya’ll... I have experience on BOTH the Nittos - 555RII and Michelin Pilot Sport Cups on road racing courses. Today I ran Zippy in light rain / wet conditions at Autobahn CC and while we took it easy ~ drove at about 80%, no problems. I kind of wished I would have had the Michelin Pilot Sport 2s on for the wet stuff. I also have a 350Z tweaked to about 460whp that is a race car and I exclusively use the pilot sport cups and I can honestly say that the only thing better would be a set of Hoosiers. I have a set waiting for my Z when the 555RII's are used up. My racing buddy uses the MPSCs 295r and 285f.. he really like them. The Nittos worked ok, but if your going to track your car, I'd seriously look into the Michelin Pilot Sport Cups.

Both the Michelins and Nittto's are softer compounds and will wear down faster than say... the OEM tires. Then there is always driver input. If you’re spinning them... you’re just going to use them up faster. ;)

·
Registered
895 Posts
Put a set of R2's on just before the Fest. The original F1's had 13,000 miles on them and I was slipping and sliding everywhere.

The R2's hug great around town and are really noticeable when pressing through the curves.

At the Fest, did the DE at Nashville and really began to appreciate the grip on the road course. Same for the autoX, probably even more so.

At the drags, my 60' was a little better than last year, but the conditions, heat, and humidity were worse, so who knows what all that's worth.

So far I am more than satisfied and will by another set before next years Fest, if these last than long.

Steve

·
Registered
194 Posts
If you like them now wait till you start taking some serious corners at speed, they stick like glue. I have been trying to take them to the edge on some of the flat corners with some area to spin it out just to see how far they will go before they break loose. These are so much better than the F1's

If your going to the drags play a little with the air pressure, my best launches were around 24 #'s

The more you drive on these tires the more you will appreciate your Z.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
The Goodyear 295-35 F1's I have on the rear now pretty much come right to the edge of the fender edge. If I go to the 305/35 Nittos how much farther out do they actually stick on the outer edge withthe stock rims? If there is anything I hate its a tire thats outside of the body line of the wheel wells.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I've had them since they came out and they make great street tires. I've mentioned in several other threads that the r2's aren't good launch tires (stiff sidewall but hook great once you get rolling. (100 treadwear compared to 220).

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
briann510

10mm wider isn't much about 3/8 of an inch. The outer edge of the Nitto has a large radius so you don't clearly see the wider tire.

Zrod

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I agree, I love my Nittos!!

Alex :jammin:

·
Registered
996 Posts
robiferretti said:
where to get, and how much for the set?
Robi,

I personally got them from discount tire direct (you can easily find the website using your favorite search engine :) )

You'll easily find the price on their website.

Geoff

1 - 20 of 29 Posts