Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Total Sticker Shock....just donated to the Pew Family Trust!!!!

Used to use Cam 2 in the 69 Chevelle SS396, paid about $1.80 to $2.10 about 15 years ago. Couldn't use the stuff in my Callaway as it was leaded. Now as I have reported Sunoco has come out with GT100 (100 Octane) and GT Plus (104 octane), figured I'd end up paying $2.50 a gallon now, seems reasonable.

Since I was putting my Z06 away for the Winter I wanted to fill the tank. Since I will be loading it on a trailer for the trip to Florida in February for the Pro Solo I went to the place in town which used to carry the Cam 2. Well the owner sold back to Sunoco 2 years ago, they ripped it down, put in a Mini mart and no Race gas. Back on the internet found a station that sells it 80 miles away. Hell I can do this. 5 dollars of Ultra 94 in the tank grabbed my 3, 5 gal. race gas jugs and off I went.

Found the station and sure enough this stuff is good. I Noticed a seat-of-the-pants increase of about 20 HP (mini Nitro). There is a difference!!

There is a difference another way also. As I was filling the third jug I looked at the meter on the pump. Just over 33 gal, car and 3 jugs.

AT $4.15/9 A GALLON!!!!!! PAID $140.00!!!!!! FOR 33 GALLONS!!

Needless to say I drove home in 6th gear all the way at 50 trying to conserve every drop for the track!!!!!

·
Registered
631 Posts
DJ

That's a great write up.

I was pisssing myself laughing cause now you know how we feel when we gas up in Canada. The race fuel is available at the drag track - a truck comes to the track and you can get a fill.

The reason I started to laugh is that only a car nut would drive 80 miles to get this kind of an experience. 6th gear really made it funny, however, I sure wish I had two more gears in my old Z28. Power I've got. It's them 411 gears and 4 or 5 miles to the gallon that makes the needle go south real fast.

Car is still a blast to drive. Puts a grin on my face every time I drive it. Either Z car is an awful lot of fun !!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Hey DJ (et al),

What exactly is the benefit of race gas in a normally-aspirated car like the Z06? Is it that the electronics don't kick in a knock retard AT ALL with that high an octane gas? Or is it something else? I know that my '93 Cobra could benefit from race gas -- but that was due to the fact that it had a blower on it, and would allow me to take the timing retard completely out of it (through an MSD unit).

I know (or at least I'm under the impression, based on conversations with a mechanic friend who builds and races TA's) that there's a "correct" blend of octane (with the idea that too much is too much, and too little is too little) for maximizing performance, and that will differ from car/engine to car/engine...

I'd like to know more about this as it applies to our Z's -- I've got a place @ half an hour away that sells the 104, so I'll fill up (or splash some in) every now and then if I can learn how it helps!

Thanks!

-Kirk

PS -- Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Kirk,

You're definitely correct, knock retard is the reason we do it. However, I think full 100 octane is a bit too much (not to mention expensive). 94-95 should do just fine.

When I ran straight race gas one day (just to see what would happen), my fuel milage went up a bit. Probably because there was no alcohol in the fuel. When I ran a 91/100 blend, my fuel milage stayed about the same, but there was definitely a difference in power. The PCM was pulling all kinds of timing with the shit 91 crap we have here. Once race gas went in, all the timing went back, and the car woke up.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The real benifit....

...of the race gas would primarily be the higher octane. This would help a normally aspirated Z06 on a hot day in race conditions.

It would also be of benifit to those putting on Superchargers and Turbochargers; preventing knock and predetonation.

A secondary benifit would be higher performance. I did notice an immediate and noticable "seat of the pants" increase. A dyno run would be interesting. This is presumably due to the higher dieelectric value of the gas, and the fact thatthe 2 Sunoco unleaded race formulations are Oxygenated. The GT100 (100 octane unleaded) has 2.7 Vol.% Oxygen content and the GT Plus (104 octane unleaded) has 4.5 Vol.% Oxygen. This is a proven trick and is used in F1 fuels a lot. Remember a motor is just a glorified air pump. The more you can pump the more HP you have. The idea behind Turbo and Supercharging is to move more air thru the engine. The key though is Oxygen. Besides air you are moving more Oxygen through the engine and raising its thermal efficiency. 2 otherways to do that are to add NitrousOxide which adds O2 but also aids in fuel burn AND to dissolve and chemically bind the oxygen in the fuel. the Rae Gas does this.

The Race gas is also refined twice as opposed to regular pump gas. So it is purer and cleaner. It also is more thermal efficient having a lower boiling point and higher evaporative percent factors.

The Sunoco Race Gas also has an enhanced additive package the cleans the engine and prevents deposits.

The GT Plus (104 octane unleaded) is recommended for 12:1 to 14:1 compression. Recommended for off road

The GT 100 (100 octane unleaded is recommended for 10:1 to 12:1 compression engines. This is ideal for a naturally aspirated LS6. and legal for highway use.

Both are legal to use Federally. Both are excellent choices to use in computer controlled cars which can't tolerate lead, ie. they will not harm Catalytic Convertors or Oxygen Sensors.

Frankly, they are cost prohibitive for every day use. I just fill up with Sunoco Ultra ( every Wednesday when there is a $.06/gal discount ) then run only GT100 on the weekends for AutoX and Solo I.

·
Registered
92 Posts
High octane fuel smells so good. Hope if you win the Pro no else can smell it.
You may want to take a look at the SCCA Solo Rule Book that stuff ain't allowed in Stock Classes:D Only in Street Prepared,Prepared,and Modified:eek:

·
Original Owner, 63 Z06
163 Posts
100 Octane

Here in Daytona you can buy 100 no lead at the pump. It is sold at the Union 76 on Nova and Big Tree. I will check the price next time by the station. I mix my own 104 leaded. Jack Podel sells pure Tetra-Eythl mixed in diesel a few ownce goes a long way and it smells like old times at the track.

Happy Holidays to all,

PS This week at the track they are running Go Karts,whew 140+ MPH two inches off the ground.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Get Serious!

How long have you had this problem? Put Hi-test in and add an octane booster. Move to California or Florida! What have I missed here? Z06Y Lady, :-?

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I just looked thru the rule book....

Found the reference you were apparently refering to:

3.6 FUEL:

A. Stock Class vehicles will use service station pump fuel only. Pump fuel is defined as that which is "Federally approved for use on public highways." This does not allow racing-type fuels which are available at service station pumps.

B. Street Prepared, Prepared and Modified...........
.......Oxygen and/or Nitrogen bearing additives are prohibited, except for those originally present in service station pump fuel. .......

1. Sunoco's GT 100 (100 octane) UNLEADED is sold at the service station pump island and has a label "Federally approved for use on public highways". It IS legal for SCCA Stock classes.

2. Sunoco's GT Plus (104 octane) UNLEADED is sold at some service station pump islands and by special order. Sunoco recommends that it be used "off road". However, it does carry a label stating "Federally approved for use on public highways".
It IS legal for use in SCCA Stock Classes.

3. Sunoco's CAM II (110 octane) LEADED is sold at some service stations. BUT it is NOT "federally approved for use on public highways" It is a race gas sold at service stations. It is NOT legal for use in SCCA Stock Classes.

4. Although Sunoco's GT100 and GTPlus are oxygenated it is done in the refining process andf is ORIGINALLY present in the service station pump fuel.

5. I submit that using a lower grade commonly available pump gas and then adding an octane booster is illegal in SCCA Stock Classes and may be illegal in the other classes if the additive contains Oxygen or Nitrogen.

AceZ06, Thanks for pointing that out. Its always good to have a rebuttal in your back pocket when and if the protest is filed. You can be sure I will have the docementation with me, Sales slips, labels, tech specs etc.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Look at 3.6 Fuel , Page 60 ,National Solo 2001 Rules. But if the Sunoco fuel you want use is "Federally approved for use on public highways" and not just Race gas sold at the pump it looks like your good to go:D Have Fun and Good Luck at the PRO:cheers:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Re: The real benifit....

DJWorm said:
...of the race gas would primarily be the higher octane. This would help a normally aspirated Z06 on a hot day in race conditions.

A secondary benifit would be higher performance. I did notice an immediate and noticable "seat of the pants" increase. A dyno run would be interesting. This is presumably due to the higher dieelectric value of the gas, and the fact thatthe 2 Sunoco unleaded race formulations are Oxygenated
Does a healthy LS6 get any knock retard running 93 octane on a hot day? If it doesn't then race fuel probably won't do you any good.

The higher the octane the less volatile the fuel is. It is actually more stable and produces a less powerful explosion. The benefit of higher octane is that you can squeeze it more (higher compression), which will give you a more powerful explosion. If you keep bumping your compression and timing up on normal gas you will eventually get predetonation or knock.

So race engines, built and tuned to run on race gas, can run more compression and more timing and make more power. An engine built and tuned to run on 93 octane (like ours) will just burn a hole in your wallet faster on race gas.

Although I guess for those of you who can't get 93, mixing pump and race gas would keep you from losing timing (the computer will sense the knock from the 91 or lower octane and automatically retard your timing).

I would be interested to know how they claim their fuel is 'oxygenated'. The only stuff I know of that contains its own oxygen to burn is rocket fuel.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
104 octane

I am going to check out the location near me and the price. Could be fun to try some of that fire power. :) :) :)

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just did more research......

.....concerning 100 octane unleaded gas.

"z06vett" mentioned he was purchasing some in Florida from the Union 76 Station (Unocal). I searched for Unocal Race Gas and got

Cosby Oil Co. In So. California. seems they are a supplier to different tracks in So. Ca. and also retail the 100 octane unleaded from 2 of their "Commercial Fleet Net" Centers. One is in SanDiego, the other in Sante Fe Springs, Ca. The also have an info page on the Unocal Race Gas. 118 Octane Leaded, 114 Octane Leaded, 110 octane Leaded and 100 Octane Unleaded.

The interesting part about the 100 octane unleaded is it meets Federal reformulated gas standards and they have and sell in California a blend that meets the RFG Pase II Standards

www.cosbyoil.com

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I also just learned that Sunoco....

Race fuels are marketed under a pseudo Name in some markets;
"TRICK" Racing Fuels. This is done in So. Ca. by Cosby Oil Co.

www.cosbyoil.com

Check out their Unocal Race Gas Page also

·
Original Owner, 63 Z06
163 Posts
100 Octane

I just checked today and the price is $ 4.19/ gallon. The leaded 104 octane I use in my 63 Z06 cost about $1.40/ gallon. There are a couple of stations in Daytona that carry the 100 Octane no lead and all are about the same price. At the track they have 114 Octane but no price on the pump. Bill France gets what ever he can, lol,

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
More 100 octane sites!!!!!

Just checked out the Unocal (Union 76) site

www.union76.com

They sell 100 octane unlesded in Arizona, California, Florida, North Carolina, Nevada and Washington

1 - 20 of 21 Posts