Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to clarify our recommendations with respect to the MAF screen as it relates to the Halltech Intakes.

1) If you have a 2001 C5 and the TRIC (Tunnel Ram Induction Cold-air) System, leave the laminar honeycomb screen in the MAF. The honeycomb screen helps to "smooth" the airflow to the MAF sensor wires, resulting in better loop feedback to the PCM. When the screen is removed the air mass is improperly reported to the PCM, resulting in overtime work for the O2 sensors.

Some surging and possible codes can result from this. The performance difference is very slight be removing the screen because the screen version of the MAF flows more air than the Z06 needs. GM probably tweaked PCM on the 2002 to allow the screen removal.

2) If you have the T-1 Intake, no screen is necessary. No surging at all. Use the 2002 MAF for best results, but you can use the 2001 MAF without the screen. We stock the 2002 MAFs.

The Magic Box or MAF Translator should eliminate the lean condition on the 2001. The Halltech Magic Box is no longer being made, but we have a few in stock, but the T-1 elbow, converting the TRIC to a T-1 is a better option.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Is there a difference other than no screen between the '01 and '02 MAF? I assume the PCM handles the adjustments, not the MAF. That correct?

What percentage of change does the magic box make? I had a GMS MAF on mine calibrated 5% rich and it was way too rich. The back of my car was BLACK and I got down to 10.2:1 A/F on the dyno.

Looking forward to the new Sidewinder.....

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I pulled mine out...and will Atap some runs to see if it's leaning out too much...if so, solution for me will be to throw some 30 lb. injectors in there...

definitely go Atap the car though, and see what YOUR car is doing...don't just look at blanket statements assuming that ALL of them are going to respond the same...just my 2 cents...

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NetJunkie said:
Is there a difference other than no screen between the '01 and '02 MAF? I assume the PCM handles the adjustments, not the MAF. That correct?

What percentage of change does the magic box make? I had a GMS MAF on mine calibrated 5% rich and it was way too rich. The back of my car was BLACK and I got down to 10.2:1 A/F on the dyno.

Looking forward to the new Sidewinder.....
5% rich would not cause that much difference in the a/f ratio. You are losing major power at that ratio.

The GMS normally misses so much airflow at the MAF as to send the PCM into code. The vehicles we tested could not adapt, even with the O2 sensors working overtime. I have had many calls from customers with the same problem.

I'm not sure whether GM adjusted the PCM or the MAF, but the screen out in 02 works just fine.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TAMUz06 said:
I pulled mine out...and will Atap some runs to see if it's leaning out too much...if so, solution for me will be to throw some 30 lb. injectors in there...

definitely go Atap the car though, and see what YOUR car is doing...don't just look at blanket statements assuming that ALL of them are going to respond the same...just my 2 cents...
The 30# injectors will change only WOT. The other stoichiometric fuel cells will adapt back to 14.6:1. WOT is open loop, and will stick with the factory pre-sets.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts