Corvette Z06 Forum banner

Would running without the hood insulation hurt the hood/paint?

• Yes

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • No

Votes: 31 47.0%
  • Dont know for sure

Votes: 23 34.8%
  • Dont care

Votes: 7 10.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At cruise-ins, I've seen several vettes without the hood insulation. Will the added heat damage the hood/paint over time or is it fine without it?.

·
Premium Member
2,314 Posts
Chris, the hood insulation is there to minimize engine noise. I took mine off 2 years ago with no effect to the paint.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
The main purpose is sound deadening :z:

·
Registered
252 Posts
I don't see how it could hurt the paint, if anything probably a little more circulation of air.

Question for you guys that removed the liner. I took mine off a couple weeks ago with the intention of leaving it off, however there are factory markings that the liner covered. The markings appear to have been made with a magic marker but dang if I can get them off using wax or polish. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
MAX said:
I don't see how it could hurt the paint, if anything probably a little more circulation of air.

Question for you guys that removed the liner. I took mine off a couple weeks ago with the intention of leaving it off, however there are factory markings that the liner covered. The markings appear to have been made with a magic marker but dang if I can get them off using wax or polish. Any suggestions?
Try rubbing alcohol.

·
10,998 Posts
I have run without mine for over a year with no problems on both street and track.

·
10,998 Posts
RobGrnfld said:
Just curious...what's the benefit of taking the hood liner out?

Rob G.
Weight, and they get grungy with the march of time and miles. The nature of the material makes it very difficult to impossible to keep clean.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
panzer said:
Weight, and they get grungy with the march of time and miles. The nature of the material makes is very difficult to impossible to keep clean.
I agree. I'm glad I found this post - I was thinking about doing the same thing since mine is a lot of different colors now. It's also beginning to "peel" in two corners. It's just not in great shape anymore.
:thumb:

·
Registered
238 Posts

Same here with my red Z06. The previous owner had taken the liner off and there id black magic marker numbers which I thought meant the hood was a replacement. I was upset. Glad to hear another one has the same thing. Do you want to sell your liner and grommets?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Anyone on this thread care to sell their hood liner as long as it is in very good to mint condition with all the grommets? The bottom of my hood is way to ugly where the liner was and it distracts from the Fast 90mm intake and polished D-1sc on the engine.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Anyone on this thread care to sell their hood liner as long as it is in very good to mint condition with all the grommets? The bottom of my hood is way to ugly where the liner was and it distracts from the Fast 90mm intake and polished D-1sc on the engine.
RedRocket,
Hey man, with the mods you have, why not just buy a new hood liner. Seems like anything less than perfect is a waste of time. I think finding a used one that meets the requirements you have is going to be difficult, because as someone mentioned before, over time the hood liners become almost britle and would inevitably be damaged to a degree from removal.

Just something to think about.

Where is Dalton GA? I am in Pace/Pensacola area, FL.

Jim

·
Registered
238 Posts
RedRocket,
Hey man, with the mods you have, why not just buy a new hood liner. Seems like anything less than perfect is a waste of time. I think finding a used one that meets the requirements you have is going to be difficult, because as someone mentioned before, over time the hood liners become almost britle and would inevitably be damaged to a degree from removal.

Just something to think about.

Where is Dalton GA? I am in Pace/Pensacola area, FL.

Jim
Dalton is 80 miles north of Atlanta. We come down to Destin the third week of June each year. I may drive it down next year. I may just have the undrside of the hood painted.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Same here with my red Z06. The previous owner had taken the liner off and there id black magic marker numbers which I thought meant the hood was a replacement. I was upset. Glad to hear another one has the same thing. Do you want to sell your liner and grommets?
REDROCKET02ZO6:

I've got a painted mural underhood liner that I think you'd like.
PM me for details.

DW

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have been thinking of pulling mine off as well. I pulled mine off my 03 cobra and daily drove it for 3 years with no problems.

Are the stock hoods painted on the bottom side?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have also been contemplating taking my hoodliner out as well. I have seen cars without it but they had designs or pictures painted under the hood.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I believe it is okay to remove the pad also. When the one on my Z gets ugly you better believe I am going to remove it. On my 70 which has a nice paint job on it has not had a hood pad under it ever since I got the car painted. That has been around 4 or 5 years now and no problems yet.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts