Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoosier is not happy with the performance of their DOT A3S04's and R3S04's.

They are working on an "S05" replacement.

Hopefully they will be out before April 30th.

The most recent S04 and Kuhmo's V710 were forced by the new (late 2003) DOT regs that specified better puncture resistance for street tires. This mandated steel belts rather than the fibergalss, nylon and Aramid belts used in the V700 and S03's.

My personal opinion is that steel belts don't belong in race tires as they deter heat dissipation and actually increase heat retention and heat generation by the need of running higher pressures. Plus the just make the tires needlessly heavier. But this is a Catch 22 type Reg as the DoT could care less about race tire construction and they are only made to the DOT specs as the sanctioning bodies use it to limit true R tire usage in stock classes.

It appears now that when Kuhmo's first batch started falling apart and the needed to ReCall them they also changed to a softer compound. The V700 were 45-50 and the newer V710's are 35. Hoosier kept their A's at 40 and R's at 30 but found that inorder to get even wear and avoid premature tread edge wear & belt failure they needed to run higher pressures (+45 cold)....which reduced grip. I would assume that besides some construction chages that Hoosier will also drop the compound hardness.

I also know that Goodyear is working on new DOT A and R tires.

Should be interesting.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
The S04 was actually pretty competitive in T1 last year. Lance Knupp was very fast on them... but he is very fast on anything. :D

·
Registered
155 Posts
I don't know how well advanced composite fibers bond with rubber (yet), but it shouldn't cost too much more to use Dyneema ( I may mean spectra ) fibers instead of steel. The one I'm thinking of is comparable to kevlar, but doesn't fatigue like kevlar does. Oh yeah...MUCH lighter than steel....I think it's even light enough to float.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
If you read the reviews on Tire Rack's site, lots of Hoosier customers aren't happy either, specifically with the tire's very poor wear.

·
Registered
131 Posts
dmtnt said:
If you read the reviews on Tire Rack's site, lots of Hoosier customers aren't happy either, specifically with the tire's very poor wear.

Would you say there's been some dis-cord? OK, that was not even funny... :D

·
Registered
350 Posts
After doing back to back to back tests at Savannah with the Hoosiers, GYs and the Kumho V710, there was no comparison. The Kumho is easily the quickest and easiest to drive quickly. The break-away (if you can even call it that) is so linear all the way to the absolutely limit, you just won't believe it. They also seem to wear like iron and stay just as fast for many, many heat cycles. And, to add to all that, the Kumhos are about $50 a tire cheaper. They are simply amazing.

Just to give you an idea, I qualified at the CMP National this past weekend with V710s that had 10 heat cycles on them and was under the track record (1:44.8). With a set of sticker tires, I would have been under it by well over 1 second - guaranteed!

Assuming you have the ability and everything else being equal, you'll turn your quickest lap on sticker tires, but then heat cycles 2-6 are virtually identical. Cycles 7-cording are only about .5 slower.

The last thing I'll say about them is that I can run 275 up front (rather than having to use 315s) because of how well they bite-no understeer. This gives less rolling resistance down the straights and still allows for great braking and cornering. The car stays more consistent throughout the race too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts