Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 questions relating to the horn on C6's:

1. Why does the car sometimes honk 3 times after closing the door? It drives me crazy and I can't figure it out - something to do with detecting the FOB?

2. Despite how loud the horn seems in my garage or a parking lot (see above), it is impossible to hear at highway speeds. I've almost been run over a couple times by unobservant drivers changing lanes (my car is BRIGHT ORANGE, what more can I do?) and wasn't able to warn them. Has anyone installed aftermarket horns they would recommend?

·
Registered
95 Posts
If you leave the FOB in the car it honks 3 times. Mine does it even sometimes when I have my FOB with me. I even changed the battery in my FOB because of this but it still seems to think the FOB is in the car sometimes. Maybe there is some sequence I am not doing when parking the car that is triggering it but I just ignore it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It happens most often when I am in the car. Its usually at autox events where I'll leave the door open for a minute to check air pressure, harass the competition about their times and then jump back in the car. I guess it thinks the FOB in my pocket when I close the was left behind.

·
Registered
33 Posts
About 2-3 seconds after you close the car door the car will sound the horn IF IT DETECTS A KEY IS PRESENT.

The 3 honks is a feature to let one know they left their key in the car... However, if you're standing next to your car 2-3 seconds after shutting the door (which most people are) it will still detect the key.

This feature can be turned off by going through the option menu on the Driver Information Center (DIC as Chevy calls it). The option button is one of the lower buttons on the right side of the "gauge cluster." Use the reset button to change to alternate modes of the particular option.

Changing the battery will likely make this problem worse, as the fob signal would be at full strength. There is another option where the car unlocks itself as the user walks approaches the car... One can infer that the signal is then strong enough to be present as you exit and shut the door.

I guess another option is to shut the door and run like hell, but that might draw some awkward stares lol.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I guess another option is to shut the door and run like hell, but that might draw some awkward stares lol.
:lol::help: If I am within three feet or so, after closing the door, the horn will blow just as if the fob was in the car. I think you can program the car to respond differently; check the manual.

I once used an aftermarket horn (Italian) that was good, but I can't remember the name.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts